What type of tortoise is this?

pillow

Location (City and/or State)
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Another question, out of these products, which one can I use?

pillow

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
one more questions, I'm getting these lights, are they fine?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
one more questions, I'm getting these lights, are they fine?

No. Spot lamps and compact fluorescents should not be used over tortoises.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.
Here is the correct care info:

pillow

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
No. Spot lamps and compact fluorescents should not be used over tortoises.
Will these two together be fine?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will these two together be fine?

Not the right ones. No spot bulbs. You need a flood type bulb. Refer to post number 7 above.

pillow

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Think of a spot bulb as a torch! How would you like to live with a shining torch in your eyes? This can cause eye issues as well. You have good advise so use what is suggested. Enjoy getting it right and you will have a happy healthy tort.

pillow

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Think of a spot bulb as a torch! How would you like to live with a shining torch in your eyes? This can cause eye issues as well. You have good advise so use what is suggested. Enjoy getting it right and you will have a happy healthy tort.
Thank you, I plan on utilizing everything I learn here to it’s limit.

I was confused for a moment regarding the difference between a spot bulb and a floodlight, but I did more research and understand it to some sense now.

I only plan on getting my tortoise once everything is appropriate and ready.

I’m in your care, and sorry for the excessive questions!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, I plan on utilizing everything I learn here to it’s limit.

I was confused for a moment regarding the difference between a spot bulb and a floodlight, but I did more research and understand it to some sense now.

I only plan on getting my tortoise once everything is appropriate and ready.

I’m in your care, and sorry for the excessive questions!
These are good questions. Not excessive at all. Questions are how we learn and get things right.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Not sure this is what you need. You need a uvb light on a timer sunrise and sunset. heat lamp also on a timer. Start with them and add more if you need it.

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
This is the correct bulb for indoor basking.
I realize this is an older post. Tom could you send me a link to the correct bulb for indoor basking. I realize things have changed and in an older link you posted the bulb is no longer available. I don‘t know if it matters but I am in California. I am currently using the Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp and I am reading that I should change that bulb. Help please! Thank you!!

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
I realize this is an older post. Tom could you send me a link to the correct bulb for indoor basking. I realize things have changed and in an older link you posted the bulb is no longer available. I don‘t know if it matters but I am in California. I am currently using the Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp and I am reading that I should change that bulb. Help please! Thank you!!
Hi again, You can kindly discard my request for a link to a good basking bulb. I was able to get this from Mark. Thank you for all the information you provide!