What type of tortoise should I buy?

DanielBK

I've been wanting to get a tortoise for a while now, but i don't know what king i should get. I have limited space, but great weather.

I had 2 leopard torts but sadly, they passed (still can't figure out why, but i was at camp and left them with my parents when they passed). I live in Southern California, and as you could imagine, it is hot and dry year round so i was just wondering if there is a type of tortoise that could fit these conditions. Leopards might be too big, and red/yellow foots might not like the dryness... (someone in my neighborhood breeds tortoises, and has a yellow foot that she keeps outside, however it is kind of pyramided) So i was thinking maybe star torts, russian torts, or greek torts.

If you can suggest a relatively pretty to look at, small (under 18 inches) tortoise that is accustomed to dry weather, than please help :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Anything in the Testudo genus will work well for you. Greeks, russians, hermanni or marginated, all fit your bill well and do great here in our SoCal climate. Hermanni also tend to have great personalities and are gorgeous to look at.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I'm looking into getting a hermanni, Dalmatian. If things go my way :) .

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I agree that any of the ones in the Mediterranean group would be great. I have a Russian and I think she is great, nothing bothers her and she's very outgoing even with strangers. Russians may not be the prettiest in the group but if that doesn't bother you they are good choice.

Peytons torts

I love my Hermanns they have a very cute face and they are just the perfect size my females are around 9 inches and my male is at 5 inches here are some pictures of all of my hermanns I have 5 adults and 2 juviniles ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423023691.487678.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423023715.665125.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423023766.874902.jpg

The two last pics are my adults and the first one is my juviniles
With the shoe pic I'm a size 8 so you can see just the exact size

Peytons torts

I love my Hermanns they have a very cute face and they are just the perfect size my females are around 9 inches and my male is at 5 inches here are some pictures of all of my hermanns I have 5 adults and 2 juviniles View attachment 117218View attachment 117219View attachment 117220

The two last pics are my adults and the first one is my juviniles
With the shoe pic I'm a size 8 so you can see just the exact size
Oh I forgot to add in that shoe pic the females are next to me

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA