What type of turtle (Aussie tortoise) is this

prowsie747

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447326717.974054.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447326738.540560.jpg

I thought it was MURRAY river long neck but I'm not sure. I'm in Melbourne, Australia but not a massive amount of info on them

If any one can tell me that would be great and also what their feeding and sleeping patterns are like as they are around 3-6 months old so I have been told

Thanks, Dan

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One that can swim, I hope.:)
As I'm sure you're aware, it's a turtle and not a tortoise.
A very nice looking turtle, too.
Sorry. I have no idea as to the species.
You'll need to know if it is purely aquatic so that you'll know if you need some dry land for it to climb out and bask and I'm pretty sure that that barb swimming in there with it could be it's first meal.

prowsie747

Nah I wasn't, I alway thought that tortoises flipper claw like things and turtles were flippers only

Hence why I need to be on this forum haha

Yeah they have a basking shelf and all the lighting and your right that was its meal

prowsie747

I found this on google when I searched for African long neck turtle ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447331422.698030.jpg
Which does look the same

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just to straighten out the confusion - the folks in Australia refer to their water turtles as "tortoises."

Hi Dan, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a few really experienced turtle (tortoise) people here on the Forum. Let's send a shout-out to @Anthony P @Gerards @theTurtleRoom

Berkeley

It is an Eastern Longneck, Chelodina longicollis. Don't trust all of the pics you see on the web- many are mislabeled completely. They are not similar to the African Sidenecks.

And yes, Yvonne is correct: Aussies refer to freshwater chelonians as 'tortoises', and the marine reptiles are 'turtles'.

They eat meaty foods- shrimp, fish, and pellets. They do bask, and do so regularly. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
--Berkeley

prowsie747

Than you both for your help it's greatly appreciated.

Do you know what their sleeping patterns are like and what do they do when they sleep? ie go to a quiet corner of the tank

Thanks again, Dan

Berkeley

No worries, Dan. Glad to help. They will tuck in against the vegetation in the tank, or like you said, find a nice quiet corner or amongst some branches and sleep then. Generally, they are going to sleep at night, but they are babies so they may take some little catnaps during the day, or sleep while they are comfortable basking.
--Berkeley

prowsie747

Fantastic !!
Thanks heaps for that. Well it sounds like there doing the right things so that's great

Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, Berkeley. I'm glad to have another 'resource' water turtle person to refer questions to.

Berkeley

Glad to help, Yvonne! You can certainly let me know if someone has some questions that need to be answered. I'd be glad to assist.
--Berkeley

prowsie747

Do you have any ideas as to how to get your tortoise to bask more ?

Any tricks ? As I don't think they bask enough