What type of turtle is this

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not really a water turtle person, but my 2 cents about filters is to get a canister filter. The canister sits outside the aquarium and suck water through a pipe into the filter, then back out into the aquarium. They work much better plus faster than the type you have there.

https://lovefishtank.com/100-gallon-aquarium-filter/

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my opinion is , if you have gravel , an undergravel filter is something you might consider …… pull the water through the gravel with a canister filter , you can discharge the water back into the aquarium through a bucket of filter media , root some plants in the aquarium and the tank will be pretty much maintenance free for years ………..

Aviary-Photo-131936250288729942.jpg

Aviary-Photo-131936249244097704.jpg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
my opinion is , if you have gravel , an undergravel filter is something you might consider …… pull the water through the gravel with a canister filter , you can discharge the water back into the aquarium through a bucket of filter media , root some plants in the aquarium and the tank will be pretty much maintenance free for years ………..

Aviary-Photo-131936250288729942.jpg

Aviary-Photo-131936249244097704.jpg
I like this idea. I used to set up my fish tanks with the under gravel system. I will have to see if I can find one for a 60 gal aquarium. As he gets bigger, I have a,I think it is, 150 gal aquarium. Don’t know if it holds water yet but I will find out later. It was used for a ball python but now he is in a smaller setup. It was too big for him.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I'm not really a water turtle person, but my 2 cents about filters is to get a canister filter. The canister sits outside the aquarium and suck water through a pipe into the filter, then back out into the aquarium. They work much better plus faster than the type you have there.

https://lovefishtank.com/100-gallon-aquarium-filter/
I will look into one of these. This was an emergency set up. I will improve on it later on. Just had to get him in a proper enclosure. He seems to like it and is eating.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Water has cleared and, he is basking. He has a few scutes that appear messed up. Do they shed there scutes?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, here is my next question. What is best to feed him and how often? He seems to be settling in pretty good. Weighs 129 grams. I have some pellets, Tetra ReptoMin, which has the staple diet, baby shrimp and mini krill. He is eating it some. I just don’t know how much and how often I should feed him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok, here is my next question. What is best to feed him and how often? He seems to be settling in pretty good. Weighs 129 grams. I have some pellets, Tetra ReptoMin, which has the staple diet, baby shrimp and mini krill. He is eating it some. I just don’t know how much and how often I should feed him.
I feed once a day, about as many pellets as you could fit into the size of his head. Like 5-6 would probably be enough. I also float various greens for them to munch on about 3-4 times a week.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I feed lots of turtles and the koi and bluegill eat the same food. I use a mix of Mazuri Koi platinum and Mazuri Aquatic turtle diet. I actually think the Koi pellets are better for the Pseudemys as they get so vegetarian as they age and it contains spirulina algae which I believe helps develop better colors in the turtle(and Koi)

I feed once a day if its just turtles in a tank. Because of the koi, I feed in the pond 3 times a day or so if the water is above 60°f I always judge in all cases by the amount of food that will dissappear in 5 minutes. If there is still uneaten food after 5 minutes - I decrease the amount.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, I have had this little turtle for about two weeks. He already comes to the front glass, when he sees us, scratching like mad. Here he is basking. He eats more then some of my other torts. Always at the glass, looking for food. If I increase what I give him, some settles at the bottom but I have only seen him one time eating from the bottom. Cooter is coming along quite nicely.

69C7C48C-F2FB-4D30-BCF8-AC11D5AB0892.jpeg 326428D5-174E-4C00-B1B0-31F285807C28.jpeg 9F8BDED0-F1A2-4669-B62E-F0C4D671D6B0.jpeg

TortoiseRacket

New York
Awwww he’s so cute! For foods, most picky-green-eaters go for duckweed. It’s not the most nutritious, but it it will give him some natural activity. You can also put guppies or ghost shrimp in for him to chase around.