What type of worm?

chin_lee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA state Pacific Northwest
Found this dried up work in my tort enclosure. I had fed them Levamisole last week so I'm assuming this was expelled from the med. Is anyone able to id this worm? 20180211_105259.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This looks like a dried up tapeworm. Only hookworms and tapeworms are visible to the naked eye as far as internal parasites are concerned.

Levamisole must be dosed carefully as it has some serious potential side effects in reptiles. If you don't know what this worm could be, I would be concerned you don't know proper dosing either.

What type of tortoise are we talking about? Tapeworms need an intermdiate host to infect a reptile - either mammal or invertebrate. So once taken care of your tortoise cannot reinfect himself. But you need to look at what your are feeding your tortoise.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
Sorry error on my part on the med. Its actually Fenbendazole that I administered. I dose 10% Fenbendazole in liquid suspension at 1ml per 1000 grams and I soak it into partially moistened mazuri pellets for each tortoise. Apparently its very hard to overdose this med
Is it possible that its a roundworm? i know its a little hard to see due to its dehydrated state.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes. Much different without it dried out. That is a roundworm. Hookworms are not visible to the naked eye. Fenbendazole is the med of choice. And there is quite a large range of safety with that drug.

But that does have an indirect lifecycle. So only contracted through ingesting an intermediate host. With hookworms that would be rodents, lizards, fish, amphibians... Need to check where your Herman's could have got that!!

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sorry error on my part on the med. Its actually Fenbendazole that I administered. I dose 10% Fenbendazole in liquid suspension at 1ml per 1000 grams and I soak it into partially moistened mazuri pellets for each tortoise. Apparently its very hard to overdose this med
Is it possible that its a roundworm? i know its a little hard to see due to its dehydrated state.
I thought maybe roundworm too.