What Types of Greens Do You Feed Your RF's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I just recently bought some mustard, radish greens, romaine, and collard seeds. I won't be feeding them much Romaine at all (that's mostly for me :) ) but that is about all that I could find in terms of greens that people recommend for torts. I will also be feeding them Hibiscus and various fruits and of course protein. Are the 4 types of greens and the hibiscus sufficient for a torts diet in terms of the greens side? If not, what else do you feed your torts?

PS-Mods I am asking this in this forum because I am planning on buying RF's and not other types of torts, but if you feel the need to move it to the other forum, my apologies for starting this topic in this forum.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Chicory is also great. Escarole, endive, raddichio.... I actually don't have an RF, but I'm pretty sure all the same greens are okay for most if not all torts.

Oh here is a great site for Redfoot info Bryan, this is what I've seen Redfoot owners use as a care sheet for the best care for your RF. If you have any questions, just go ahead and ask, and others will help you :D
http://redfoots.com/smf/index.php

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I feed my RF romaine, escarole, chicory and green 'leaf' lettuce along with occasional mustard and collard greens. But I have found that mine are picky about mustard greens at times. I have tried radish greens, dandelion greens and swiss chard but they won't touch them though tortoises of the genus Testudo apparently love such things.
Collard SEEDS? Do you mean you got some seeds to grow your own collards?

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
I typically feed my tort's romaine, collard, leaf lettuce, broccoli, kale, and spinach. I've stumbled across quite a few care sheets that seem to contradict whether or not kale and spinach are good, so I've reduced their intake of those for the time being.
Lately, Cordelia has proven to be quite the climber (can climb into terra cotta pots it seems), and thus I found out that lettuce sprouts are the equivalent to tortoises, as crystal meth is to a meth head. She will stop at nothing it seems, to get her greedy little beak around those supple sprouts.

dewbert

5 Year Member
Mine usually get Mustard and Parsley. But they also sometimes get turnip greens or collards. I try to keep mixing it up with them. They seem to pretty much like them all.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
cdmay said:
I feed my RF romaine, escarole, chicory and green 'leaf' lettuce along with occasional mustard and collard greens. But I have found that mine are picky about mustard greens at times. I have tried radish greens, dandelion greens and swiss chard but they won't touch them though tortoises of the genus Testudo apparently love such things.
Collard SEEDS? Do you mean you got some seeds to grow your own collards?

Yes, I am planning on growing these plants from seed so that I have an abundant supply of fresh food for them. I saw Swiss Chard seeds for sale here but I wasn't sure if they would be good for them or not. Thanks to everyone that has chimed in thus far, Bryan

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
OK, here is the scoop...

Some greens have a good ratio of calcium to phosphorous, without being high in oxalic acid: arugula, basil, cabbage, chicory, collards, dandelions, endive, escarole, kale, mustard, radicchio, turnip greens, and water cress.

Some of these greens (kale, cabbage) are low in iodine, which MIGHT cause problems IF used too much without other foods that have iodine in them. In other words, use them as part of a mix and you are OK.

Oxalic acid binds with calcium, greatly lowering the bioavailability to the animal. Spinach, parsely, lambsquarters, and beet greens are high in this. They should be fed with some supplemental calcium to offset this. Vitamin A helps offset it as well, and most of these have good amounts of A in them.

Other lettuces are low in calcium- add a small pinch of calcium to help offset. Overdosing in calcium is difficult enough that prudent supplementation is usually a good idea.

I like variety and freshness. I usually mix and match heads/bunches of greens, bagged greens, and deli stuff with farmer's market stuff whenever possible. I try to offer at least two different greens each week. The lower they are in calcium, the wider variety I try to offer.

lezsolt

5 Year Member
Mine likes chickweed (Stellaria media) and dandelions the most, he can't stand plantago though (any idea why?). (He is a 12-week-old hatching.)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Redfoot tortoises are omnivorous. They consume both animal and plant material in the wild.

GREENS
Most grocery stores have a decent selection of greens that redfoot tortoises readily eat. Ideally the greens should be organic and pesticide free. However this is the real world and not all tortoise keepers have access to "ideal" food. So, I have this section as a starting point for a varied diet. The following greens are easily found in my local stores:
Romaine lettuce
Red and green leaf lettuce
Endive
Escarole
Chicory
Radicchio
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Kale
Collards
Spring Mix (mixed salad greens)
cabbage (on occasion)

VEGETABLES
Yellow squash
Zucchini
Winter squash
Pumpkin
Carrots (on occasion)
Green Beans (on occasion)

FRUIT
Papaya
Mangos
Apples (be sure there are no seeds)
Strawberries
Blackberries
Cactus fruit
Tomatoes

OTHER GOOD CHOICES
Some other favorites of my tortoises that are available:
Hibiscus (flowers and leaves)
Opuntia cactus pads
Hosta
Sedum
Mulberry leaves
Hen and Chicks
Ice Plants
Prickly pear flowers, fruit and pads (burn the spines off)
Dandelion
Plantain (not the banana type fruit....the weed plantago major)
Mallow (flowers and leaves)
Henbit
Rose (flowers and leaves....make sure no systemic pesticides were used)
Chrysanthemum flowers
Cornflowers Plagiobothrys ssp
Forsythia (flowers and leaves)
Dayflower Commelina diffusa (flowers and leaves)
Californian Poppy escholzia

Make sure all are pesticide and herbicide free.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
You guys/gals are great! I also read today that fig leaves and fig fruit are also a good food for them (I have a big fig tree in my yard). I have access to Hibiscus and Mulberry as well. I also have banana and mango trees here as well. I think for the most part that I'll be able to spoil them pretty well! I just want to make sure that I can give them a varied diet that will promote strong immune systems in the animals as well as optimum growth and an overall happy animal. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming! You can never get too much info on this sort of stuff.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Bryan said:
You guys/gals are great! I also read today that fig leaves and fig fruit are also a good food for them (I have a big fig tree in my yard). I have access to Hibiscus and Mulberry as well. I also have banana and mango trees here as well. I think for the most part that I'll be able to spoil them pretty well! I just want to make sure that I can give them a varied diet that will promote strong immune systems in the animals as well as optimum growth and an overall happy animal. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming! You can never get too much info on this sort of stuff.

Bryan,

Don't forget to feed yourself the good stuff as you plan to do that for your tort:p Because, sometimes we tend to overcare about our chelonians and not caring enough about ourselves until we feel sick;). Just look at the list that one member provides above, imagine we feed ourselves those natural vegetable, ohhhhhhboy, we will feel great, and our immune system will thank us.:D

Minh

Bryan

10 Year Member!
ZippyButter said:
Bryan said:

Bryan,

Don't forget to feed yourself the good stuff as you plan to do that for your tort:p Because, sometimes we tend to overcare about our chelonians and not caring enough about ourselves until we feel sick;). Just look at the list that one member provides above, imagine we feed ourselves those natural vegetable, ohhhhhhboy, we will feel great, and our immune system will thank us.:D

Minh

:) Good call! I was actually looking at using this as a reason for me to eat healthier, whatever left over produce there will be I will use for me and my family and as a result I should greatly up my veggie intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.