What up with my cactus?

SoCalGreek

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi! My prickly pear cactus was so happy over the summer (Southern California), but I found it looking pale with these little white spots on it! Anyone know what is wrong with it?

5840BB37-62B0-4744-B3F0-40FFF2BBB096.jpeg

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Hi! My prickly pear cactus was so happy over the summer (Southern California), but I found it looking pale with these little white spots on it! Anyone know what is wrong with it?
That is the result of cochineal, a scale insect.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

View attachment 315356
Its sadly normal. I HATE those damn bugs and I've been looking for a way to safely get rid of them for a decade. I don't feel comfortable using any kind of insecticide, or even soapy water because cactus roots are close to the surface and a thirsty cactus is going to suck up whatever moisture his the ground near it.

The bugs won't harm your tortoise at all, but they will harm your cactus. The only way I've been able to control them is with a hose. I spray them all off about once a week. If you stay after it, they won't be much of a problem at all. Let it go for a month or two, and they will look like your picture.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Its sadly normal. I HATE those damn bugs and I've been looking for a way to safely get rid of them for a decade. I don't feel comfortable using any kind of insecticide, or even soapy water because cactus roots are close to the surface and a thirsty cactus is going to suck up whatever moisture his the ground near it.

The bugs won't harm your tortoise at all, but they will harm your cactus. The only way I've been able to control them is with a hose. I spray them all off about once a week. If you stay after it, they won't be much of a problem at all. Let it go for a month or two, and they will look like your picture.
Why are you concerned about the soapy water?

Last edited:

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Because the cactus plants take it all up with their roots, and then its in the pads. I don't want the tortoises eating that.
I only ever use the tiniest amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid, and it is the product that they use to clean animals after an oil spill. That leads me to believe that it is not detrimental to animal health.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I only ever use the tiniest amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid, and it is the product that they use to clean animals after an oil spill. That leads me to believe that it is not detrimental to animal health.
You might be right, but its not a risk I'm willing to take knowing what I know about cactus and tortoises.