What was your first job and how old were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I was an oyster shucker (i opened oysters) in a seafood restaurant when I was 13. I worked under the table for $3 an hour.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I was either 14 or 15 and it was at an italian ice, ice cream and gelato store.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I mowing lawns and washing cars at nine. My first real job was at pet store in Hawthorn, CA at 14. I lied and said I was 16. I didn't even remotely look 16.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Official first job was the school cafeteria at 14 unofficial I worked summers for my grandpa's gardening business and I believe I was 9. Started my first business at 10 selling earthworms and night crawlers to fishermen on the weekend.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I was 17, fresh out of High School, and worked as a secretary in a bank. I met my husband there, who was a teller at the time. When I walked across the platform, he used to throw pennies at me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
terryo said:
I was 17, fresh out of High School, and worked as a secretary in a bank. I met my husband there, who was a teller at the time. When I walked across the platform, he used to throw pennies at me.
was he being mean throwing pennies? or was it the old wives tale of giving a penny to redheads for good luck? My dad always carried pennies in case he saw a redhead he would go up and give her one and explain it to her.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I don't even know when I began (13?), but my mom is an orchardist/farmer and we used to have several acres of cherries, and I would help sort during harvest... It was my only job until I got one at a cafe when I was about 16.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I was 14 worked in a wood salvage yard pulling nails out of old lumber. I think I got like 3 bucks an hour.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
dmmj said:
terryo said:
was he being mean throwing pennies? or was it the old wives tale of giving a penny to redheads for good luck? My dad always carried pennies in case he saw a redhead he would go up and give her one and explain it to her.

I never knew that David. He was just trying to show off to get my attention. Eventually he succeeded.:D

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I babysat for 50 cents an hour when I was 14-15, then got my first real job when I was 16. I was a high-school dropout, so could waitress during the day at the Swedish Crown restaurant in Lindsborg, KS. I had long blond braids that I wrapped around my head and the old ladies there swore they knew and remembered my dad (not true, as I was raised in C. Springs and my dad never went to Lindsborg). I learned how to polish the silver candlestick by dipping them in a can of hot water, how to make bulger wheat salad and fruit soup.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Worked for a reptile wholesaler in SoCal. Same situation as Tom...said I was 19, but was actually 15...but I looked 19;) Wound up breeding Cuban crocs in my folks' backyard...what a time that was!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My first "real job", at least where I got paid an hourly wage was a two week stint at burger king. I hated it, I would squeeze peoples hamburgers before putting them on the warmer.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
From age 18-22 I worked in my university's library...that was my only work experience until starting my career...where I'm still at my first job, and almost 25! I have way less work history than average (I guess it's good I stick with stuff?), have never had to do manual labor type stuff (I'm spoiled!), and started pretty late.

Status
Not open for further replies.