What was your first job and how old were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Gosh, babysitting started at 11. The neighbors had three awful kids, and I was paid 2.50 an hour. My mother owned a bookstore from the time I was 12, so retail and book keeping...Rode for a cutting horse trainer 14-16, simply in trade for lessons. 16 yrs old, got married, and worked for an animal entertainment company...training ponies, and taking care of the obnoxious animals they could not take on tour with them. The last one was probably my first "official" paid job.

My oldest is almost 15, in theory I want him to have a job. But you have to work all your life, you should have fun while you can.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I was 12 and worked on a farm packing corn. $0.25/crate. The boys got paid by the hour. They were supposed to pick the corn, put the crates together and then load them up on the truck. Us girls packed, and ended up putting together the crates and loading the truck. Farmer Andy wouldn't pay us the same "because the girls didn't pick the corn."
1st taste of male chauvinism. :(

wildponey21

5 Year Member
My frist job was at 16 and i walk ponies all day giving poney rides. I love the ponies hated the kids and the onwer of the stable. Let me put it this all of us hated the owner he was not a nice person and he made real hard. But i did lern alot about ponies and horses.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My first real job was custodial help at a high school during the summer. I had just turned 16 and it was through a summer youth program for low income kids. It was awful. I was the only girl and the boys were pretty rough. I was paid $3.32 an hour.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I started teaching private drum and percussion lessons at around 14, and when I was 17 I got got my first job teaching in a music store. I still teach privately and at music stores (not the one I started at when I was 17 though). My first time making decent money playing music was when I was 17, and looking back it wasn't really all that decent when I consider the time and energy I put into it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My first legal, paying job was as a laborer for a construction company where my father worked. At 12 & 13 a friend of mine and I used to cut firewood and sell it. His older brother would cut all the trees, we'd do the rest. I also grew up on a small farm so the "work" began way before that at an earlier age!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I did babysitting when I was 14 & then at 16 worked for a guy training horses. My first real job with a paycheck was at Dairy Queen when I was 16, the funnest job I could've had! I worked for some great people who owned that store!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I started babysitting when I was 12 but I got my first "real" job when I was 16. I was a hostess at an upscale restaurant and I got paid REALLY well!! I loved that job. I worked there for 2 years and then decided to work with kids since I was going into education. I started working in a daycare when I was 18, and I loved that job too :) I spent one entire summer in the infant room and it was heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.