What was your first job and what age?

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose
Let me tell you guys some of the cool movies I got to open as a kid... Star Wars, lord of the rings the first one, Harry Potter the and the sorcerers stone #1, signs, matrix just a few of my favs. I got to watch all of these movies the night before the show was to premiere with any family and friends I wanted with pop corn and soda all for free. Those were magical fun nights.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
At 15 I started working for my dad in his optometry office. Only on Saturdays during school, but 3 days a week in summer. Did some bookkeeping, scheduled appointments, adjusted glasses, made minor repairs. I resented it at the time, but it was good for me. I learned how to handle a waiting room full of fidgety people and out of control children. Excellent experience!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
When I finished high school at age 18 worked at a pub as a waitress. Then worked as a waitress at a restuarant moved into the kitchens and was learning how to make desserts for the restuarant and the airport. Met my husband left the waitressing got married didn't work for a year. Then worked for an insurance broker left that and worked for a boat building company as the girl friday. Had a son and stayed at home for three years then did temp work as a creditors clerk and finally landed a permanent job for the company I work for now about 16yrs ago. Worked in the accounts department then was promoted to the trading department with three people in the admin side. I am now the only one on the admin side doing the buying (imports) and the selling for both local market and export markets.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
After my dad's optometric office, I went to college for 2 years. That didn't work out, so at 20 started at our local hospital as a unit secretary. Stayed there fot 19 years, when, at 39, I met my husband. Left the hospital and learned to drive a tractor trailer. Pete and I bought a straight truck and leased on to a specialty carrier for 4 years. Loved it! But I had to come off the truck in 1996 to care for my ill old parents, which lasted 5 years.
Then I had some neat stuff...I worked for a professioorksnal fireworks company, driving, in the office, and as a shooter (learned I love explosions...only fireworks though!)
I drove a Prevost motor coach for a businessman who would sleep all night, then put me in a hotel while he worked 1 or 2 days, then I'd drive him back home at night while he slept. Trips of 500-700 miles.
I was a chauffeur for an older couple. We'd take their van and they would entertain friends with drinks and appetisors while I drove them to dinner, or to the airport.
We left that area, and came to the southwest as full time rv'ers. We worked at a campground one summer, then were site monitors at a construction site for 9 months in Phoenix.
By that time Pete was fighting debilitating back pain, and I was struggling with progressing rheumatoid arthritis, so we retired. That was in 2008.
Now I do volunteer work at our church...no pay, but satisfying.
So that's my story...[emoji16]

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Working for my Father in his printing plant at about 4 or 5? He made a special short table so I could collate colors. Then later for a my Grandfather as a go-for San Francisco County Fair 8/9/10. Cleaning services for Doctor and professional office building at 14/15. All the while from about 7 on until High school I collected aluminum cans for $$ too.
I forgot about collecting "returnable" bottles for the 5 or 10 cent refund....from street gutters, etc.
Candy money.
I also bought a lot of tiny rubber dinosaurs, etc.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I forgot about collecting "returnable" bottles for the 5 or 10 cent refund....from street gutters, etc.
Candy money.
I also bought a lot of tiny rubber dinosaurs, etc.
Collecting aluminum cans for scrap wouldn't have worked. Soda cans were made out of soldered steel in the late 60s and early 70s.

Destben

Kansas
It was 12 years ago, i believe they raised the minimum age now, at least here in alberta lol

They have to get a special permit but our store manager at the time I worked at McDonald’s (which was like 5 years ago) had his 14 year old son working there he just couldn’t work in the kitchen and had to do register stuff. It’s very uncommon but happens. Also it was in Utah so it might be different elsewhere.