What watering/soaking dish to use for adult sulcata

I have an adult male African sulcata that has outgrown every watering/soaking dish I've gotten him. I have used kiddie pools but he breaks them and cut himself on one last year that led to doctor visits and antibiotics. We are currently using the largest planter pot saucer, and a large garbage can lid. He has outgrown a large pizza dough pan, which worked great for a few years. I do not want to have to lift him in and out of anything as he already weighs 80 pounds (last weigh in was last year at 75 pounds) I am strong for 120 pounds but would rather not blow my back out.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I can't lift Charlie at all. Most large sulcatas will self-soak if you provide a pond. I just make him a mud hole, but many have concrete or plastic lined ponds. I think someone mentioned using a water heater pan.

I can't lift Charlie at all. Most large sulcatas will self-soak if you provide a pond. I just make him a mud hole, but many have concrete or plastic lined ponds. I think someone mentioned using a water heater pan.
Yes. I am going to go look tomorrow at the water heater pan :) I have dug a mud hole for him before but was neevous of him drinking the muddy water lol. Which I know he would if he was out in nature. The water just soaks right into the ground, but lining it sounds good. I'm going to give him as many options as it takes. Thank you :)

By the way Big Charlie is a beautiful BIG boy

Bee62

Germany
You can use pond liner ( or pond foil ) to build a flat water place for your big sulcata.
Or building a flat pool with cement and a drain to change the water.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I am strong for 120 pounds but would rather not blow my back out.
Or building a flat pool with cement and a drain to change the water.
I know oftentimes fellow forum members will make a sloping, flat bottom, cement pond for their large sulcata's. When it's a dirty pond time they simply use a cheap shop type wide broom and then just scrub it towards the downhill slope. Refill and it's golden and good to go.

Last edited:

Kellianne40

Flatwoods,Ky
What would you suggest for soaking a pretty big but not huge indoor sulculta? I can’t use the bathtub because of the feces what should I put down or put him in

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
What would you suggest for soaking a pretty big but not huge indoor sulculta? I can’t use the bathtub because of the feces what should I put down or put him in
Depending on how large it is:

or, if that is too small:

Our sulcata is just over 100lbs and barely fits in the above 40 gallon tank, but it worked very well when he was smaller.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Horse trough or large cement mixing tub.

IMG_3183.JPG