What we've been feeding Farishta.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddlerchick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
According to the research I did and after making my best guess at her species, I have been offering her a variety of things, such as good, organically grown salad greens (wide variety of mixed greens and reds), carrots, cut up raw French green beans, grated sweet potato, other leafy green veggies rich in calcium, young, delicate greens that are usually cooked, such as chard and ta-sai, strawberries, and hibiscus flowers. I just bought her some tiny baby zucchini and zucchini blossoms at the farmers' market this past weekend too.

Weather permitting, she also gets to go outside and take supervised walks around the garden for a little while every day (which she loves!) where there is grass, weeds, small, delicate succulents, rosemary (including flowers) and a big hibiscus tree with accessible leaves, but she has not shown any interest in eating anything since we took her in, and I am worried since it’s been three weeks now. I also put a couple young live potted succulent plants into her enclosure, but all she has done so far is overturn them and walk on them.

She does go into the little turtle pond I put in her enclosure on her own though, so I assume that she is drinking when she does that. She relieved herself pretty extensively when she first moved in, but I can't tell if she is doing so now - perhaps her digestive tract is cleaned out?

I wonder if the ambient temperature inside our apartment where her enclosure is is too low for her (probably mid-'60's, dropping into the low '50's at night, and she thinks she should be hibernating now?? (I have a 75W heat lamp over her enclosure so there is a warm spot for her in case she's too cold, but she seems to avoid it?!). I don't know enough about her or her basic condition to feel comfortable putting her into hibernation now, and I don't think the temperature here in South-Central L.A. will stay reliably cool enough to keep her hibernated if I do.

I also thought that perhaps her former owner had fed her a species-inappropriate diet, such as aquatic turtle pellets from the pet store, and so she doesn't recognize the veggies as food, but she looks too healthy for that theory to hold water……

Perhaps she's just reacting to a major change of location, habitat, routine, etc., and she'll eventually adjust??? She seems to have arrived in excellent condition and I really hope to be able to keep her that way, but I'm running out of ideas!

By the way, can anyone recommend a tortoise-specialized, affordable vet in the metro Los Angeles area?

Many, many thanks for any advice!

Very best wishes,

Brenda K

P.S. I'll try and get a post up about her ever-evolving habitat tonight when I get home.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Hi there,

Temps are definitely too low in the apartment. Her night time drop should not go below 70 if you want to keep her active. I think she is definitely trying to hibernate at those ambient temps. You can use a ceramic heat emitter at night to keep temps up. She needs a good UVB bulb and a good basking bulb or a combo of the two. Do you have a thermometer to check temps in her basking area and cool area? Basking should be about 90-95 and cool end should average about 76-78 during the day. Seeing pics of her setup would aid us in helping you get her setup correctly.

Welcome aboard! :)

Fiddlerchick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks very much!!

I'll put up a post about her environment with pics as soon as I get home tonight.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
"Ditto" too cold - she thinks it's sleepy time! It's amazing what a warm up will do!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like she is doing things just right for hibernating, she is not eating yet cleaned her system out and now ready for a long winter's nap. I personally go by the rule of thumb to not hibernate anything the first year you have it...just to be sure of health/parasites/ect..,

Usually by raising the temps like Anja said, upping her light to 14 hours, you can get them back to eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.