What would be your advice? (humidity over the winter)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey it's me again with some questions. Ok so my leopards are 14 months, 15 months and 2.5 yrs. they are all 4 housed together. The 2.5 yr old and one of the 14 month olds are the same size and the other two are smaller and about equal in size relative to one another. 4.25" on up to 6.25".
I've got the 4 of them in a closed chamber still but plan to move them outdoors full time come spring and plan to have a heated house or two built before next winter. If for some reason I don't get the heated houses built, I may buy a second indoor enclosure and combine them for the winter months. Anyways, my questions are:
Should I continue to keep them in higher humidity while they are indoors this winter? If so, 12 hours of high humidity (80%+) and 12 hours of slightly less (70-79%)? I've been keeping them humid during the day and turn their fogger off at night.

The enclosure has a removable tent top that I can remove for an open topped enclosure for MUCH less of a humid environment. The humidity in my home is naturally very low. Humidity ranged between 27% and 44%, but usually hovers in the low 30's.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417385300.574653.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417385324.575822.jpg

Current chamber info (on left in green).
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417385337.009765.jpg

Showing removable tent top.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417385595.125882.jpg

The inhabitants:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417385887.451510.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am thinking they still have a lot of growing to do. The humidity can only be beneficial. As long as you can control the humidity and temp, I would keep it high.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If they are under hot lights....keep it humid.
You can lower the humidity into the moderate range one they are "desiccating, overhead heat source" free ;)

You might not need 2 heated houses outdoors. Build it 4x8 from the start and it'll last you into adult hood.
Go the extra mile by putting in double doors (one on each end) with removable divider and you'll definitely be set in the event you need separation. Although even that shouldn't be needed.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would keep them in the CC, they are still on the small side, besides humidity doesn't really hurt, so no harm, no foul.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree with all above. Love the plastic tent thing, what is that and where did you get it? So many could benefit from one of those. Torts look great as always too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I must say, I love your enclosure. was it home made, or bought?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would love something like that enclosure - could two kits be joined to make it longer so that it would be 8' x 4? I only have 1 leopard about 10 inches long so think she may need a bit more space.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Gorgeous leopards and very nice enclosure. I applaud the ingenuity of it, I never would've thought to use a tent. Pretty dang creative ;).