What would do best to increase Humidity levels?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
Does a fogger or mister help w keeping humidity levels up? I was thinking about putting one on my enclosure but wasn't sure if they really helped and if they do, which is better, a fogger or the mister? Which one would u recommend from your experience? I put a little water fountain in but it didn't seem to increase the humidity much and then someone said a pot of water w a air stone bubbling would work better. Not sure what method would be the best to get the level up in my enclosure. My enclosure is closed chamber, and I spray substrate daily sometimes multiple times a day.

muu

I bought a fogger about 6 months ago and I love it. No more worrying about humidity levels.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I bought a fogger about 6 months ago and I love it. No more worrying about humidity levels.
Do u mind if I ask what the name if it is? I seen a bunch on amazon but wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have the reptifogger and I love it. Made by zoo med. Some people hate it but I have not had any issues with mine. As long as you use distilled water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You might need to dump water into your substrate. Spraying just evaporates off the top. If you are drying out that quickly and not able to maintain humidity, then your "closed" chamber isn't closed enough. You have too much ventilation somewhere. Can you post a pic?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
As Tom said. Dump in water. The bottom layer of the substrate needs to stay damp. Watering the top or misting the air won't do much if the substrate isn't holding moisture, and it doesn't trickle down. It evaporates up.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I stirred up substrate today in entire closure and soaked it all. And I feel like the enclosure is drafty. I built one out of plywood and well, warped wood, bad saw blade and just some general bad luck things have left me with little gaps. I'm in process of trying to locate an aquarium. Well one of size. I find them long all day but the width leaves a little to b desired and I really don't want to reduce the quads space. If anything id like to increase it. So I was thinking perhaps I could build my own "aquarium" but haven't really had time to sit down and research it. Their humidity level is staying safe but I have to seriously work to to keep it that way because I loose so much of it. Any suggestions on building your own aquarium? Plexiglass and silicone?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Ya I siliconed most but I'm going to rebuild. This was my first enclosure and after it's up and functioning, I can see some of my errors. To tall, gaps, half the top opens, plexiglass doors on the front and now plexiglass is popping up away from wood, it's time to redo it, now that I know more of what I need. I will take a little more time w this one, make sure all my tools are in good shape, things like that. I am thinking of maybe insulating it as well.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I have read of others just using a Vicks humidifier. I will check into that. I think I have a couple in my storage shed.
Amanda then you can buy that vinyl hosing at Home Depot or on Amazon. My hosing is actually the accordion tubing that came with the ZooMed brand Reptifogger which died after 2 months. (While they were very responsive when it came to their product and how to fix it, I chose to make my own.)

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Amanda then you can buy that vinyl hosing at Home Depot or on Amazon. My hosing is actually the accordion tubing that came with the ZooMed brand Reptifogger which died after 2 months. (While they were very responsive when it came to their product and how to fix it, I chose to make my own.)
Thanks. I have an order I'm working on now so I will add some hose to it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Amanda, every time I build an enclosure I learn more and each next one is better than the last. I admire your can-do attitude about it.

I used humidifiers in the past and was never really satisfied with the results. They never did any arm, but I also don't know that they did much good. To me the use of a humidifier is the equivalent of sticking your finger in a leaky dam. Or maybe its more like filling a giant leaky water tower with a ladder and a dixie cup. If you just plug the holes where your humidity (and your heat, by the way...) are escaping, your humidity and conditions will be much more stable and easy to maintain.

Also, are your lights and heating elements inside the enclosure or resting on top, outside the enclosure? This can make a HUGE difference too.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Amanda, every time I build an enclosure I learn more and each next one is better than the last. I admire your can-do attitude about it.

I used humidifiers in the past and was never really satisfied with the results. They never did any arm, but I also don't know that they did much good. To me the use of a humidifier is the equivalent of sticking your finger in a leaky dam. Or maybe its more like filling a giant leaky water tower with a ladder and a dixie cup. If you just plug the holes where your humidity (and your heat, by the way...) are escaping, your humidity and conditions will be much more stable and easy to maintain.

Also, are your lights and heating elements inside the enclosure or resting on top, outside the enclosure? This can make a HUGE difference too.
Thank you. I worry my personality might come of a little obsessive or something. I just have to ensure I am doing the best by them. I am concerned about stable temps and humidity. I have 4 different humidity readers, all say something different and 6 thermometers and they all say different as well (their all in different locations. ) and like I say, that's my first and I had pretty, hide the gadgets, functional in mind when I built it but I must admit, I was unprepared. I had a saw blade that cut nothing straight, I am the hand man around my house, my boyfriend knows nothing about and maintenance stuff or building anything out of wood. I know enough to get me by, but if I cod have for my brother to help me it would have been waaaayyy better. So now that I know what is really functional and I know what tools I need to upgrade and my brother owes me a favor, I'm going to build a new one. I was mainly thinking about using a fogger or mister because I soak the substrate food in the morning but I work long shifts (trying to adjust that too) so I thought if I had something to kinda keep it consistent through out day while I'm gone, it would might help. Humidity is around 96-98 in mornings when I soak it but when I get home it's down in the 70% range. I worry about the fluctuation. I just want to make sure the quads are getting the best I can give them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Fluctuations are okay. The top can dry out a bit as long as the bottom layer of the substrate stays slightly damp. The greater the depth & area, the more stable it will be.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Make sure you have a good 4-5" layer of substrate. I use orchid bark and the bottom is fairly wet while the top is mostly dry. My humidity stays constant within a few percentage points and I hardly ever add any water to it, other than spraying the torts in the enclosure briefly.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Make sure you have a good 4-5" layer of substrate. I use orchid bark and the bottom is fairly wet while the top is mostly dry. My humidity stays constant within a few percentage points and I hardly ever add any water to it, other than spraying the torts in the enclosure briefly.
Ok. Sounds good. That's another short coming w present enclosure. I didn't make it to where it's capable of holding 4" of substrate even thought I knew it needed to b that deep. That's on list of corrections for the next one.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Fluctuations are okay. The top can dry out a bit as long as the bottom layer of the substrate stays slightly damp. The greater the depth & area, the more stable it will be.
Ok. I worry about things fluctuating and them getting sick. Arizona is so little(their all little but she is really little (37g), I'm afraid they will get URI. Again, a daily thing of me talking myself down. :)