What would you do with your Tort that has passed on?

seanang168

10 Year Member!
This thought has always crossed my mind randomly. I do not have a garden. I am thinking that the approach for me is to release it back to the ocean.

What approaches do you think you will adopt?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Because I operate a rescue and take in many sick and injured turtles and tortoises, over time I have quite a few dead ones. I have a section of my property set aside for bodies. I bury them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am hoping I never have to decide the answer to that.
I know some will preserve the shell and keep it. I think I would have to do what I do with all my other animal members that have passed. Buried. One cremated and I have the ashes.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had my beloved dog cremated. I don't know why. I just thought I'd want to keep him with me. Not that he is.
There is a corner of my yard that has bird and misc. pet grave sites in it.
Thankfully, I've never had a tortoise die and at the rate that I'm going, they should all WELL survive me.

I think that the place doesn't matter. just the respect that is done while doing so.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This thought has always crossed my mind randomly. I do not have a garden. I am thinking that the approach for me is to release it back to the ocean.

What approaches do you think you will adopt?
I have visions of the shell washing up on a beach and some kid finding it..........

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i just think it should be as much of a concern as introducing pathogens into the environment by releasing captive non-native/exotic species , if not more of a concern as the animal actually died from something

AmberD

Ontario
We've always buried our pets. Made wooden boxes/casket for them to lie in with a towel/blanket and their favourite food, toys, etc.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Cremation for me and my pets as I have nightmares of a kid or dog digging up the remnants!

seanang168

10 Year Member!
i would advise against putting it in a waterway , there are diseases a dead host can spread .......
i just think it should be as much of a concern as introducing pathogens into the environment by releasing captive non-native/exotic species , if not more of a concern as the animal actually died from something
Yes , maybe putting to the ocean is not a good idea. Hmm..