What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I took in a stray cat about a year and a half ago that was hanging out in my backyard eating my birds. Since then I have really become attached to him. Great big, black long haired fella. The vet estimates him at about 5-6 years old. Speaking of the vet, I have never had an animal react the way he does when he goes to the vet. He goes absolutley crazy, like he's possessed. It literally takes 3 of them to control him. A couple of months ago I had to take him to the vet as he was developing a persitent cough. Turns out his lungs are loaded with cancer. The vet gave him a shot (The name escapes me) and said it will make him feel better/comfortable but that he only has about a month. That was 2 months ago. I never heard him cough and he was back to his old self. Well, this Monday he started weezing, and it is getting progressively worse. He stopped eating on Wednesday. Here is where I'm torn: Do I take him back to the vet where they can end his misery, knowing that the last memory of his life will be the place he fears and hates more than anything? Or do I let him ride it out at home, a place that he knows and loves, but will suffer it out until the end? Besides not eating and weezing he is still acting as lovable as he's always been.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here we have Vets that will come to the house to put an animal down. My friend's dog was put to sleep in the yard under a big tree where he used to lay in the shade while his owner read. It was very peaceful for him. You should look into house calls from a Vet.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Since the Vet has already seen him I would see if you could get some meds to make him more comfortable at home. I would not put him through going back to the vet unless he's in a lot of pain and misery.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I vote for the house call too. Don't let him suffer any more than he has to. Everyone draws this line differently. I draw it sooner than most, but I know a few people that draw it way too late. My wife was a vet tech for 13 years, so we are fortunate that she makes our "house calls" for us.

TerryO, that's just how we did it with my first Great Dane, at home on his patio. I've had to do this dozens of times in my job. It never gets easier.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I had a similiar issue with a 12 year old german shepherd who hated the vet - not just the place, but she could smell the person and the fact that he\she was a stranger and intended harm... I spared her of that, and carried her (not easy) to one of her favorite places where she was happy and content to to be with me out in the woods, despite the pain, and ended it with a .22 bullet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
chadk said:
I had a similiar issue with a 12 year old german shepherd who hated the vet - not just the place, but she could smell the person and the fact that he\she was a stranger and intended harm... I spared her of that, and carried her (not easy) to one of her favorite places where she was happy and content to to be with me out in the woods, despite the pain, and ended it with a .22 bullet.

This is the way it used to be done. Very quick and humane, but so many people are anti-gun, PC and ignorant these days that I'm afraid of being arrested for animal cruelty. I see nothing wrong with it. My wife and I HAVE seen it go very wrong and very painfully at the vets office.

Just throwing that out there for Harris. I feel this is the best way to go, considering all the factors, but I wouldn't suggest telling anyone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had two of my precious cats die in my arms at different times. I held them, sometimes for a whole day and through the night, until their last breath. It probably would have been more humane to take them to the vet and end it quickly, but, like yours, my cats were deathly afraid of the car ride and the vet's office. So, we both suffered at home while the fluid built up in their lungs and they eventually suffocated. It was horrible for the cats and for me. Oh how I wished I had the where-with-all to end it for them. But all I could do was hold them and comfort them until that last breath.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
This is such a hard topic. I am all for doing what is best for you and yours. I personally would not put my pet through the trama of going to the vet as your poor cat goes through. I would either speak to the vet about a house call or getting the meds with out a visit. And if the vet is not co-operative, then do what is best for you.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yeah, I used to work at a vet hospital... Seems like the animals know that the doctor is up to no good and often they are shaking and even peeing themselves... YMMV - do what you think is best.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
If you can't get a vet to come to you're home and you had to choose between home or vet, I'd choose the vet.

Lung cancer causes a large amount of suffering over time, I would rather my pet be real scared for couple of minutes and pass away than to have them slowly suffocate for the next couple of days and nights.

Tell your vet about the situation and I'm quite sure they'll be happy to work something out with you. I'm sure during vet school, they've taken a couple of courses in animal ethics and I'm sure they'd be able to give you good opinion on what you should do.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
My vet that I saw for 25 yrs retired last year and moved to Florida. He would indeed come to my home and put my dogs down when it was time. He was the sole owner, so when he retired no one took over. The vet I see now consists of 5 vets. I inquired if they would make a house call and unfortunately due to liability they do not. That coupled with the fact I see a different one each time I go there I haven't been able to build up a strong bond with them yet.

Being a dog guy, I never thought I could become so attached to a cat, especially after so little time. Thank you for all the input.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Find a vet that will or see if the place you go to.. will give you a sedative that you can give to your cat, then take him in . Dont let him suffer if you can prevent it.. Such a hard thing...

M

Maggie Cummings

I would hope that the vet that saw the cat would give you a sedative that would just keep him pain free and let it end at home where he is happy. It's a hard situation for you and I am a hard assed old lady who is in tears right now (surprising even me) I am so sorry that you and the cat have to go thru this but please please don't make the cat go back there. Please if you can tough it out, let him die in the warm loving home you created for him. I am so sorry you have to go thru this but ask the vet for a sedative to be administered at home.
And let us know what you decided to do. You owe us that for the pain this thread made us feel...

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
Please don't let him slowly die, that would be cruel. Torture is much worse than death. The goal should be to maximize pleasure and minimize pain.

As others suggested, try and get oral sedatives from a vet.

2Paisan

5 Year Member
Oh Harris, I just wanted to say we were so sorry to see this. We put a cancer fighter kitty down a year ago. This brings tears to my eyes. We opted to put him down as it got too uncomfortable for him and didn't want a good friend to suffer. I hope you can get a house call. Our hugs to you....

Nancy

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
terryo said:
Here we have Vets that will come to the house to put an animal down.

Be prepared to spend many, many hundreds of dollars for that service.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am very sorry for you to have to make such a heartwrenching decision...may your kitty go in peace. Do your best, then forgive yourself if it's not enough.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I am sorry to hear about your cat, i have 3 of my own, I work with Vets and you can get them to do house calls, I had to put down my ferret and my dog in the same year and the vet came to my house and did it. They both had cancer, My doggy was 15 but the cancer was very aggressive and i came home one day and it was a look she had in her eyes saying mom i cant do this any more,so i rang the vet and he came straight over, I hope that you dont have to go through that and that your cat will pass in his sleep,:(

moswen

5 Year Member
house call. we did it with my austrailian shepherd, it was a sad day. i'm sorry to hear what you are going through, but the animal is suffering and you just can't take it in to "that room." a vet posted a thing about "the room" on craig's a while back and it was an eye opener... he said every animal freaks out when they go into "the room" and some of them don't just "fall asleep-" some of them fight and spazm and defacate on themselves before the end... you can't do that to your pet. make a house call. i'm so sorry for what you're going through!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Shelly said:
terryo said:
Here we have Vets that will come to the house to put an animal down.

Be prepared to spend many, many hundreds of dollars for that service.

I wouldn't dispute that, because I don't know. Every Vet has his own prices. My Vet comes to the house, and gives shots, and even brings a tech. to do blood work. He's the greatest guy, and is affiliated with the Animal Hospital that I bring my animals to. House call with exam $40, all vaccines and most medications are only $20 each. Simple treatments $20 - $40. I don't know what he charges for euthanasias, but whatever it is, when the time comes that's what I will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.