What would you EAT?

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
So I was talking at my husband earlier about how fascinating it is that different regions of the world eat such unusual things. Some places eat bugs, others dogs, even horse is a delicacy in some places. When my hubby comments "I would try horse."
Now this made me stop and think for two reasons.
1. Holly cow I didn't even think he was listening to my random rant.
2. If someone set a big horse steak in front of me, would I try it?
What is taboo to us is often perfectly normal in other places. If the animal is not endangered or protected is it OK to eat?
Even here in the US there is a large variation in what is acceptable to eat from area to area. I grew up in the south and have eaten rattlesnake, crawfish, alligator and raccoon but in a lot of places people find that to be "disgusting."
So what exotic foods are out of the question for you folks? What things would you try? And I'm not talking about if you were starving. What have you tried that may be strange to someone else?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I cannt eat Evan though I've tryed several times is to eat Rocky Mountain oysters!
Nope haven't had those.. I might try it if I could get someone else to eat it first..
I can't eat raw oysters. I was gonna try them, but then I smelled it first and just couldn't make myself eat something that was so stinky. Could have been a bad one though.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Yogurt or sushi. I would eat a skunk before I tried either of those.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Nope haven't had those.. I might try it if I could get someone else to eat it first..
I can't eat raw oysters. I was gonna try them, but then I smelled it first and just couldn't make myself eat something that was so stinky. Could have been a bad one though.
They don't smell fishy at all , and they aren't oysters !

daniellenc

Maryland
I love sushi, goat, all seafood raw actually, maryland crabs freak a lot of people out but I could live on them. I eat venison, pork belly, tried fried squirrel and enjoyed it, had gator and rattlesnake which was ok though the snake a bit tough.

I don't eat organs at all! Like I am totally grossed out by liver, tongue, brains, heart, and anything organ related. Don't know if i'd eat raccoon or possum but knowing me I'd give it a shot. No rocky mountain oysters either......see above on my thoughts on organ meat lol.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I love sushi, goat, all seafood raw actually, maryland crabs freak a lot of people out but I could live on them. I eat venison, pork belly, tried fried squirrel and enjoyed it, had gator and rattlesnake which was ok though the snake a bit tough.

I don't eat organs at all! Like I am totally grossed out by liver, tongue, brains, heart, and anything organ related. Don't know if i'd eat raccoon or possum but knowing me I'd give it a shot. No rocky mountain oysters either......see above on my thoughts on organ meat lol.
I could live on venison! Rather eat rabbit than squirrel (domestic rabbit has different taste than wild) I have eaten cow, deer, and pig hearts and liked it. Livers I didn't like. Some people don't realize that sausage casings are usually made from intestines ..
I ate emu a couple times when I was younger.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I've eaten sweetbreads and loved them. I used to cook them. Brains are similar but more mushy and not as good. I like chicken livers. My husband won't touch them and calls them fish bait, but he will eat calf liver, which to me needs lots of bacon and onions to disguise the taste.

I've had chicken feet and duck feet in a Chinese restaurant. They aren't anything I would go back for. I used to know a guy who made jewelry out of chicken feet.

I've eaten escargot. I don't like sushi or ceviche, but I'll eat smoked salmon and pickled herring. I won't go near sardines.

I've had goat but wasn't impressed.

When we lived in the Middle East, I tried cooking camel but it was so spongy that I couldn't bring myself to taste it.

I couldn't eat an animal I've had as a pet - dog, cat, rabbit, or guinea pig.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a saying: Meat's meat!

Meaning that meat is meat. I don't really care what animal it came from.

There is a restaurant in South Africa made out of some old train cars. Its called "The Train". They serve all kinds of different meats in an all-you-can-eat style buffet. I ate kudu, warthog, giraffe, zebra, elephant, cape buffalo, crocodile, ostrich and grubs. Its all legally obtained meat, and it was all prepared in different ways with different seasonings. Escargot was a common appetizer in all the South African restaurants too. I liked the little ones coated in the creamy garlic butter sauces, but one day they brought these big giant honkin' ones to the table with just a light coat of butter. That was a little gross. That was back in 1998. Really broadened my culinary horizons and opened my mind. Elephant was so tender and tasty… Mmmmm… They explained that is was obtained from a cull. A young surplus male was destroying crops and villages, as they do sometimes, and some great white hunter paid big bucks to shoot him. Much of the meat and money goes to the local villagers, who then protect the remaining wildlife because it is their meal ticket. Poachers don't go into those areas, because if they do, they are never seen again. Its a good wildlife management strategy that benefits both the people and the wildlife. Once the locals got their share of the meat, the rest is sold off to restaurants and other private parties.

I've tried all sort of different things around the world. I ate blood tacos in Mexico. Yuck. Cooked blood. Steak tartar in France. Biltong in South Africa. Several types of kimche in Korea. DOUBLE yuck on that! Blechhh!

Oysters. Man I love oysters. I usually eat them when I'm in New Orleans. The Pelican Bar on St. Charles St. has .50 cent oysters during happy hour. Mmmmmmm… I love them charbroiled with the garlic and parmesan too. At a friends recent wedding here in CA, they had an oyster bar. The guy had four different types and knew all of the subtleties of flavor and salty-ness of each and exactly where they'd come from. Man that was a rare treat. Delicious.

Speaking of seafood, I don't care for most fish, but I like cod and freshly caught brook trout. I love shrimp, lobster, scallops, calamari, and on a recent trip to South Carolina, I discovered that I love king crab legs too. I've eaten raw scallops during a SCUBA dive while underwater. That was interesting.

This thread is making me hungry. Time for lunch soon!

So to answer the thread title: I'll try just about anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yogurt or sushi. I would eat a skunk before I tried either of those.

I get the sushi part. Not my thing either. But whats wrong with yogurt? What about sour cream or cottage cheese? You've got me curious about this quirk of yours.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am open to trying just about anything. I really want to try rattlesnake and dog.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I have a saying: Meat's meat!

Meaning that meat is meat. I don't really care what animal it came from.

There is a restaurant in South Africa made out of some old train cars. Its called "The Train". They serve all kinds of different meats in an all-you-can-eat style buffet. I ate kudu, warthog, giraffe, zebra, elephant, cape buffalo, crocodile, ostrich and grubs. Its all legally obtained meat, and it was all prepared in different ways with different seasonings. Escargot was a common appetizer in all the South African restaurants too. I liked the little ones coated in the creamy garlic butter sauces, but one day they brought these big giant honkin' ones to the table with just a light coat of butter. That was a little gross. That was back in 1998. Really broadened my culinary horizons and opened my mind. Elephant was so tender and tasty… Mmmmm… They explained that is was obtained from a cull. A young surplus male was destroying crops and villages, as they do sometimes, and some great white hunter paid big bucks to shoot him. Much of the meat and money goes to the local villagers, who then protect the remaining wildlife because it is their meal ticket. Poachers don't go into those areas, because if they do, they are never seen again. Its a good wildlife management strategy that benefits both the people and the wildlife. Once the locals got their share of the meat, the rest is sold off to restaurants and other private parties.

I've tried all sort of different things around the world. I ate blood tacos in Mexico. Yuck. Cooked blood. Steak tartar in France. Biltong in South Africa. Several types of kimche in Korea. DOUBLE yuck on that! Blechhh!

Oysters. Man I love oysters. I usually eat them when I'm in New Orleans. The Pelican Bar on St. Charles St. has .50 cent oysters during happy hour. Mmmmmmm… I love them charbroiled with the garlic and parmesan too. At a friends recent wedding here in CA, they had an oyster bar. The guy had four different types and knew all of the subtleties of flavor and salty-ness of each and exactly where they'd come from. Man that was a rare treat. Delicious.

Speaking of seafood, I don't care for most fish, but I like cod and freshly caught brook trout. I love shrimp, lobster, scallops, calamari, and on a recent trip to South Carolina, I discovered that I love king crab legs too. I've eaten raw scallops during a SCUBA dive while underwater. That was interesting.

This thread is making me hungry. Time for lunch soon!

So to answer the thread title: I'll try just about anything.
Wow that's amazing stuff. I have heard that the big game hunters usually donate the meat. My hubby wants to know if anyone has tried horse. So far Tom is the closest with zebra. How do they prepare grubs?o_O

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow that's amazing stuff. I have heard that the big game hunters usually donate the meat. My hubby wants to know if anyone has tried horse. So far Tom is the closest with zebra. How do they prepare grubs?o_O

As a kid, we had a local place that served horse meat as loose meat hamburgers.