What's a type of enclosure that can be set up really fast?

byviolet

Hi all.

I'm moving my tortoise across the country in a month and unfortunately I won't be able to bring my enclosure along. I'm looking for something that I can set up really quick because I don't want my tortoise to not be in an enclosure (he's small enough still to be good in an indoor enclosure). Any ideas? I can't really do anything complicated involving fabricating an enclosure out of wood or something like that because I am moving :)

And it's an indoor enclosure as well though I don't have a hard limit on size for now.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
You can always look for a small greenhouse kit. I did something similar for winter housing, however you would have to modify it some. Works great at holding in moisture and heat.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I use a portable greenhouse for my red. Took no building skills at all.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QUSJCW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
They come in all different sizes.

Yup. This is what I did. Although, I created a wood base, as my tortoises were a little bigger than 5 inches.

Byviolet, if he's only 5 inches, all you may need to do is spray paint the first 6 inches of the bottom plastic so he doesn't try and dig through the plastic out of interest. You may also find that this is too big for what space you might have. This really only works inside of a shed, or garage that is somewhat temperature controlled.

green house.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Yup. This is what I did. Although, I created a wood base, as my tortoises were a little bigger than 5 inches.

Byviolet, if he's only 5 inches, all you may need to do is spray paint the first 6 inches of the bottom plastic so he doesn't try and dig through the plastic out of interest. You may also find that this is too big for what space you might have. This really only works inside of a shed, or garage that is somewhat temperature controlled.

View attachment 166446
Mine is 9 inches.....I did not build a base. Also, mine is not totally clear as you can see. Different design kind of.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You can go to a local feed store near the new place and get large horse watering trough. Like what Maggie called a stock tank above. You can just buy it and then go to a garden center and get some fine grade orchid bark in the 2.0 cubic foot bags, go to the hardware store and get a ceramic based fixture, bulb, digital timer, and two terra cotta plant saucers for food and water.

This will last at least a few days until you can make a proper closed chamber to keep things the right temperature and humidity for your species.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Mine is 9 inches.....I did not build a base. Also, mine is not totally clear as you can see. Different design kind of.

Ahh yes, the one you posted looks a little transparent, but perhaps not enough to matter. It also looks like it is made out of a stronger material than just plastic.