Whats better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My opinion, if they are still young, needing higher humidity, the aquarium would be easier to keep up humidity. I try to raise my leopard the way of Tom's threads below. I have mine in two large 50 gallon plastic totes, same idea of aquarium, just cheaper and lighter.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The aquarium will make it easier to maintain humidity, but the tort table will give you more room and with some easy fixes you can get good humidity in it, "fogger, etc"...

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
I like tables better just because I can control everything in it, plus they're cheaper than a large aquarium. Just my opinion though :)

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Well it would be for three babies... Maybe I should bid on the tort table too... It is for sale pretty cheep as of now. I already have the aquarium all set up from when I had Genny...

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
There are a lot of plans to built a simple tort table if you're even slightly handy, might save you some money

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I like closed chamber enclosurs, something like critter cages. They keep the temp and humditiy up with lower wattage lights.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
that tort table's sides are too low, once you have a little substrate in their you wont be able to put anything around the edges or they will climb out, they become very good climbers quickly. you could always use a few boards and cap the top to over hang inside the enclosure a bit, that way they wouldnt beable to get over the lip.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Depends how old they are. Aquariums are much better for keeping in humidity but tort table are a great way for them to get some fresh air and sun light. This is why during the day I have them on a table outside (spray them repeatedly) and at night I have them in an aquarium.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes The sides can be to low, Especially if you have your substrate deep, so your tort can burrow.

Your best bet is making a Table If you can, buy the supplies at your local supply store,
you mentioned 3 torts, you can possibly make two for the price that u buy one for
so your torts have room.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Okay... Thanks for the info :) I placed a bid on the table.. It is only 35 bucks (so far) and it comes with a ton of stuff including two UVB power sun bulbs and ceramic fixtures. So I figure the 35 would pay for that alone so it couldn't hurt it does have a screen top that you can open and shut. So they can't get out... I like the idea of having that for them outside while there little plus I can add another tort table (it's the zoo med tort table) and make it even bigger... And I have the aquarium for them to be in most of the time and until summer... Then when I don't need to worry about the humidity so much I can probably have the two tort tables combined and use them then for indoors :) thanks for all your insight!

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Brittany6 said:
Okay... Thanks for the info :) I placed a bid on the table.. It is only 35 bucks (so far) and it comes with a ton of stuff including two UVB power sun bulbs and ceramic fixtures. So I figure the 35 would pay for that alone so it couldn't hurt it does have a screen top that you can open and shut. So they can't get out... I like the idea of having that for them outside while there little plus I can add another tort table (it's the zoo med tort table) and make it even bigger... And I have the aquarium for them to be in most of the time and until summer... Then when I don't need to worry about the humidity so much I can probably have the two tort tables combined and use them then for indoors :) thanks for all your insight!

Agreed! Good luck, I really hope you get it!

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Thanks so much everyone :) so far so good but I still have 6 more days :-/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like the aquarium for inside. Outside I like to build simple 4x8' rectangles with cinder blocks or slumpstone blocks and wire covers.

Both of those are so small though. Okay for a trio of hatchlings for a couple of months, but not much longer than that...

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Well if I join two turtle tables it would be 5 feet by 4 feet... And I thought they could use that inside once the humidity isn't such a issue... I know the one tort table and aquarium will only last until summer if I'm lucky and that's only 4 months away. I can certainly do the cinder block and screen top easy :) for the summer outdoor encloser... How many inches can they be before humidity isn't such a issue... 6 inches? Thanks again xoxox

Status
Not open for further replies.