What's my name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Getting a well started leopard baby delivered on Wednesday - obviously I'm not sure if it's male or female, however, am still thinking of names. So far I've come up with Leo (too obvious I think), Punkin (slang for pumpkin cause that's just exactly what it's going to be - an adorably irresistable cute lil punkin'), or Creature.

Any ideas?! Please, help me out on this one :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wait until you have had it for a week or so. The action of him/her may deliver its name. Now for the more important part. Have you done the research to care for it properly? Read Toms threads at the bottom of my post. The leopard and sulcata threads all pertain in the best care for your new Leo.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
As Wellington said, do your research before you buy as they require quite a lot of looking after :)

But as far as the name goes... Why not look into african names and what they mean? Seeing as they are native to africa. Then you can match a name to its personality. I chose the name 'Milly' because I know a nice old lady called Milly and I want my tort to live to a healthy old age :p

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Yes, I did the research. Yes, I'm a responsible pet owner. Yes, I'm ready for the challenge. Yes, I'm ready to enjoy raising a Leopard tortoise. Please take a look at some of my other posts regarding my Russian tortoise - he's a spoiled brat!

That being said, I actually started researching Leopard and various other types of tortoises a month after I acquired Tucker, my lil Russian guy. About two weeks ago I made my mind up on a Leopard; the timing was right, and bingo, I landed a great purchase with perfect timing. The entire table was just set up today (built a month or so ago), making sure bulbs work, temps/humidity is appropriate, hides are placed, and grass seed is planted. Now I'm just playing the waiting game in receiving my leo tort!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm waiting until I know the sex of mine to name it. Right now I just call it tortoise or torty. lol

But I'd avoid anything with "shell" in it, simply because they're the most obvious and so many people use those names. They're cute names, but there are tons of Shelldons, Shellby's, and Shelly's out there already.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Tortus said:
I'm waiting until I know the sex of mine to name it. Right now I just call it tortoise or torty. lol

But I'd avoid anything with "shell" in it, simply because they're the most obvious and so many people use those names. They're cute names, but there are tons of Shelldons, Shellby's, and Shelly's out there already.

I totally agree on the "shell" names. Althought those names are so adorable, especially Shelldon, I want something a little more unique. I know what you mean by just calling it tort, etc, until you know the sex - my husband actually suggested just calling ours "Turtle" until we know..........LOL I think it's hilarious :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
gieseygirly said:
luvpetz27 said:
I like Feona for a girl!! :)

I love Feona! Will def keep that one in mind - thanks!

awww I have always loved that name:)
My daughter likes the name Pixie too :)
I am from Ohio too..close to Columbus.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
My leopard got stuck and extra night at a fed ex facility in Louisville Kentucky and almost didnt make it alive. So I call my Leo Louisville. Tons of nick names Lou, Louie, Louis, ect... Regardless if its a boy or a girl I don't think it will mind it's name.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Richsandwich said:
My leopard got stuck and extra night at a fed ex facility in Louisville Kentucky and almost didnt make it alive. So I call my Leo Louisville. Tons of nick names Lou, Louie, Louis, ect... Regardless if its a boy or a girl I don't think it will mind it's name.

I am glad he made it to you!!
perfect name!! :)

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Richsandwich said:

Oh my gosh :( You must've been totally stressed. I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened. I'm so glad to hear you were able to help him/her recuperate from that - that's devastating more for the tort, but the owner as well.

luvpetz27 said:
gieseygirly said:
luvpetz27 said:
I like Feona for a girl!! :)

I love Feona! Will def keep that one in mind - thanks!

awww I have always loved that name:)
My daughter likes the name Pixie too :)
I am from Ohio too..close to Columbus.

Pixie is right up there with Feona in being totally adorable names!

Status
Not open for further replies.