What's the best indoors growing foods?

Lowstorm

Location (City and/or State)
Mid Minnesota
So my Sheldon (He's a hermann's) lives rather happily indoors all winter, most of the fall and half the spring. He only gets 5 months outdoors to eat weeds and soak up the sun. I'm ready to cut ties with the darn grocery stores! But, being that I live in the great white frozen tundra of Minnesota, I cannot just harvest stuff for most of the year.

I have room, south and north facing windows, and pots... And the ability to get pots. What can I order, online this spring probably, that would do well as a house plant AND produce enough to get my dude through the winter? He likes his leaves softer. Yeah, that means he doesn't like succulents. >.<

I was thinking of getting a few hibiscus to grow. But how many?
And I tried my hand at growing dandelions... I failed. I do have a green thumb, they just never sprouted. Probably too dry.
He didn't like pothos, but I can keep trying as my pothos is growing like, well, a pothos. I didn't try very hard, but now I'm thinking I should keep introducing it.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I got a nice seed mix from tortoisesupply.com. It has a lot of clover in it but other stuff too. Easy to grow indoors.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You can also try wheat grass it’s easy to grow. Don’t feel bad about the dandelion they are a ***** to kill outside but you almost can’t grow them inside!