What's the best substrate for burrowing?

TalkingPie

Location (City and/or State)
Hemel Hempstead
Going to be upgrading my tortoises' home soon and was wondering which substrate was the best for burrowing as he's already dug up half of my garden.

Also another question if I get a lamp fixture that's like 150w power and put a lower powered bulb (UVB) in like 10w Will it blow?

L

LasTortugasNinja

What kind of tort? Size of enclosure? Indoor/Outdoor? Indoor coco coir and woodchips are generally the go-to choices. Outdoors just clean dirt and maybe leaf litter if it's clean. Most torts are good at digging up the dirt to their preference. As for lighting... 150W is REALLY strong and unnecessary. I generally use 75w fixtures. You are better off not using a UVB bulb. It's recommended to use the tube style lights.

TalkingPie

Hemel Hempstead
What kind of tort? Size of enclosure? Indoor/Outdoor? Indoor coco coir and woodchips are generally the go-to choices. Outdoors just clean dirt and maybe leaf litter if it's clean. Most torts are good at digging up the dirt to their preference. As for lighting... 150W is REALLY strong and unnecessary. I generally use 75w fixtures. You are better off not using a UVB bulb. It's recommended to use the tube style lights.

Russian, Size 5 by 2, Indoor.

I already have one of these things:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002UDXC9Q/?tag=

And was wondering if I needed to replace it as it would be a larger bulb or is it fine if it is the same wattage?

L

LasTortugasNinja

Russian, Size 5 by 2, Indoor.

I already have one of these things:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002UDXC9Q/?tag=

And was wondering if I needed to replace it as it would be a larger bulb or is it fine if it is the same wattage?
I'm not well versed in the laws of wattage (surprising, I know, since I'm such a genius on everything else!)... maybe @Tom will have more insight. I always try to match the bulb with the fixture as close as possible, but I don't know what happens if there is a huge disparity. A quick google search says it's fine. A 150watt fixture can use anything from 1 watt to 150 watts (as long as voltage is the same). Another said it's fine, but the bulb can overheat and short out faster.

TalkingPie

Hemel Hempstead
I'm not well versed in the laws of wattage (surprising, I know, since I'm such a genius on everything else!)... maybe @Tom will have more insight. I always try to match the bulb with the fixture as close as possible, but I don't know what happens if there is a huge disparity. A quick google search says it's fine. A 150watt fixture can use anything from 1 watt to 150 watts (as long as voltage is the same). Another said it's fine, but the bulb can overheat and short out faster.

Yeah I'll probably just follow your advice on that one, seems only logical right?, as for the substrate do you mean both of them are mixed together? or was they separate choices?

Oh and If I put alot of substrate in when he digs down he won't get trapped or anything will he? I'm having visions of him just creating a big circle around himself trying to get out.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I use a mix of play sand and top soil and they fully bury with no shell showing but are absolutely fine when I retrieve them. I notice they do not bury in open area always against a log or flowerpot so include them in the landscape and make it deeper around that area.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If its a screw-in lamp, like E27 base, then you can put in whatever bulb you want as long as it doesn't exceed the rating of the fixture. If the fixture has a ballast, like a fluorescent fixture, you want to use the wattage bulb specified.

Reactions: Tom