Whats the best way to travel with my tortoise?

hdeaver1

I will be moving to North Las Vegas in a few weeks and it will be about a 2 hour drive. What is the best way to travel with my little guy and keep him safe and happy until we arrive at our new home?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Pack him in a plastic tub on a damp towel with plenty of air holes. Two hours is not a big issue at all. When you get him home give him a good soak and get him into his enclosure as soon as possible.

hdeaver1

He has an under the bed storage enclosure that I may be able to keep him in while we travel. I just worry that he might flip or something while I am driving.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
He has an under the bed storage enclosure that I may be able to keep him in while we travel. I just worry that he might flip or something while I am driving.
That is why I started using a smaller tub they can't move around in when I travel with mine. I almost wrecked trying to right a flipped tortoise on the way to Houston. Now, when I travel with them, I pack them in for their safety and mine. The lid of the tub I use now sits almost on top of their shell. No way for them to flip. It is a little cramped but they are tortoises, they do cramped all the time. Also, if I have to stop for any reason the smaller container is easier to bring into the store or rest area so I don't have to leave them in the car when I travel alone.

I also have a temp enclosure and I bring with me and one at my Mom's house (I also have an outdoor playpen there) so that when we get to where we are going they can go right in after their soak to minimize stress. I have never had an issue with them not eating or stressing out when doing it this way.

tsemiller

If you're looking for a cheap way to travel, wrap a small hot water bottle in a towel, place in a shoe box with air holes with some alfalfa hay and pop the tortoise in. He'll prob burrow in the hay and sleep and the hot water bottle (not too hot) will keep him cosy and warm. Have done this a couple of times and tortoise seemed content enough.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I move mine 60 miles several times a year.
They travel in a small rubbermaid with holes on shredded paper towels and holes in the lid.
I don't want them to get cold, hot or unstable.
I have not had one problem and do this with 9 tortoises.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Only use the hot water bottle in cold weather. Headed to Las Vegas beware the heat; cold will only be a worry if sitting under the AC vent.

I like putting a couple of inches of substrate in a cooler and putting the cooler in the front passenger floor board. Then I can lift the lid and check on the tortoise without putting the tortoise in a draft.

Good luck.

tsemiller

Didn't notice area was Vegas - sorry! Live in Scotland so not too much in the way of hot weather for us lol

hdeaver1

Yes, right now it's 98 there, but the high is 108, with a chance of rain...I am sure Tortellini would love the air after the rainfall with those temps!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to pack them in a plastic container (contains and "spills") that is just big enough to fit them. This way they can't flip turn around or slide around during sudden stops. I use either grass hay or a towel to absorb messes.

Another tip is to soak your tortoise a lot in the days leading up to the move and then soak them for an hour or two before the drive. This will help clean them out and reduce that chance of a large BM in a closed car while on the move.

hdeaver1

Tom, Thank you for the suggestion on the frequent soaking...there is a 45 minute period where there are only emergency pull out area's so sitting in the car with that would not be awesome.

Plushkins

Louisiana
Hello from Bugatti and Lina :) I see this thread has been inactive for a while, but thought I would take a chance. Bu (Hermann's) is flying Delta from Houston to New York (with one stopover in Detroit) next Saturday, March 2nd. Any advice on how best to package the little guy? He's 354 grams = about .8 lbs, 6" long, 4" wide, and 2" tall. He may not travel in the cabin, so naturally I worry. Any advice on a container, container contents, and air travel generally? He has a health certificate and an acclimation statement, so his paperwork is in order :) Many thanks for any information and help!!!