What's the deal with Mazuri????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
Isn't Mazuri formulated specifically for tortoises??? so why is it's use so conflicting. There are people that only use Mazuri, other people that feed it on a daily basis to go along with their normal everyday grazing, there are those that only consider it a once in a while treat and then some that just stay away from it all together…so is it a good food or not????

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Us it is a good food. That is what zoos use. Mazuri makes all kinds or exotic animal food. It is recommended by members not to feed it as a staple. As always stated a varied diet is always best. That's why most don't feed it every day and as a main food.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
I guess I depends on the owner as how they see it. But let see what more expert members have to say

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
In my opinion, the ideal diet would be freshly grown weeds/flowers. Mazuri is a commercial diet. There's nothing wrong with using it, it's just not fresh food. That being said, I give mazuri to my Russians once or twice a week just to make sure they are getting balanced nutrition. I feed a lot of variety and probably don't even need it, but I don't think it hurts:).

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
It's supposedly one of the best commercial foods for tortoises, but of course the more "natural" the diet, the better. I guess the way a keeper incorporates Mazuri into the diet just depends on what type of keeper they are, and what diet beliefs they subscribe to. For example, my sulcatas have grass and weeds available all year long, so there's really no reason for me to feed Mazuri, although I feed it occasionally because it's a nice treat for them, they like it, and it has vitamins and minerals in it. Other people may feed it more often because it's difficult for them get regular access to safe weeds & grass, and buying a lot pf produce can get expensive, depending on the size of the tort. I just bought a 25lb. bag of Mazuri online for $13. That's very affordable & decent way to feed a tortoise if one is strapped for cash. Just my thoughts. :)

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
Laurie, I pretty much feed my torts the way you do, I do love to give them Mazuri about 3 times a week just because they absolutely LOVE it and I'm a southern girl from New Orleans so eating is a sign of good health lol, lol, lol, I wish they could have a nice warm plate of red beans and rice once in a while but since they can't, Mazuri is an AWESOME replacement.

Erika, that's a GREAT price for Mazuri, I thought I got it cheap at $25.50 for a 25Lbs bag, especially after today when I read how much it's being sold for in the SALES section of TFO…GGGGEEEEEZZZZZZZ buttt anyway, would you mind sending me the website you got your Mazuri from? PLEASE :)

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
Laurie, I pretty much feed my torts the way you do, I do love to give them Mazuri about 3 times a week just because they absolutely LOVE it and I'm a southern girl from New Orleans so eating is a sign of good health lol, lol, lol, I wish they could have a nice warm plate of red beans and rice once in a while but since they can't, Mazuri is an AWESOME replacement.

Erika, that's a GREAT price for Mazuri, I thought I got it cheap at $25.50 for a 25Lbs bag, especially after today when I read how much it's being sold for in the SALES section of TFO…GGGGEEEEEZZZZZZZ buttt anyway, would you mind sending me the website you got your Mazuri from? PLEASE :)

Yes, please share, it's $31.99 here locally at the feed store. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm just going by memory, as I don't have the bag anymore, but I THINK the instructions on the bag tell you to feed it to your tortoises along with a variety of greens.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hahaha, sorry ladies, it actually was NOT a 25lb. bag that I bought. I was having a senile moment. Sorry to get your hopes up. :rolleyes:

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
My Red-Foot LOVES Mazuri. I prepare it while she soaks and when I put her back in her enclosure, she smells it and starts pedaling in the air so she literally hits the ground running!!! Although since I introduced it in the spring, she's been snubbing her greens, going so far as to hold out eating until it comes back on rotation, every 3 days :-/ So, clever mom that I am (I have 2 daughters) I now make a salad combining everything so she doesn't have choice :-D
Also funny how my boxie hatchling is utterly uninterested...

Oh, and I pay $15 for a 1lbs bag! Kinda wish I didn't know how much you lucky guys are paying ;-)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I rarely feed it. But they do love to eat it. Of course I also have to order about 150 pounds to last even a month if fed once a week for all my shelled creatures. Grass and natural weeds is always the best I feel. But nothing wrong with feeding it in moderation with proper fresh diet.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
I rarely feed it. But they do love to eat it. Of course I also have to order about 150 pounds to last even a month if fed once a week for all my shelled creatures. Grass and natural weeds is always the best I feel. But nothing wrong with feeding it in moderation with proper fresh diet.

:p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
Isn't Mazuri formulated specifically for tortoises??? so why is it's use so conflicting. There are people that only use Mazuri, other people that feed it on a daily basis to go along with their normal everyday grazing, there are those that only consider it a once in a while treat and then some that just stay away from it all together…so is it a good food or not????

Why are you surprised? The diet for almost any animal, including humans, is just as debated. Is kibble good for cats or dogs (or rabbits or hamsters)? Should humans eat much cereal grains? Should babies eat prepared baby food or freshly made stuff?

SOME of this is sheer preference. There are pros and cons both ways in almost all of these discussions. https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.