what's the good food for tortoise which is suffering from anorexia??

Brucekim

I already gave him Chicory,a green young pumkin, red chicory...
but he doesn't eat..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello Bruce

A tortoise won't eat if there's something wrong with its environment. That needs checking out first.

What are the 4 important temperatures in the enclosure? (Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum)

Is this tort living alone or with another tort that might be bullying or intimidating it?

Is the tort well hydrated? How often do you soak it? A tort that is not eating must be soaked daily for at least 30 minutes in warm water. Use a high sided bowl that your tort cannot see through or over.

How long have you had this tortoise? Have you changed your setup recently? Some torts handle change very badly and can go on hunger strike for weeks while they decide that you are not a predator and the enclosure is safe. Daily soaks, gentle handling and leaving your tort entirely alone to be brave are the key here.

Brucekim

Hello Bruce

A tortoise won't eat if there's something wrong with its environment. That needs checking out first.

What are the 4 important temperatures in the enclosure? (Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum)

Is this tort living alone or with another tort that might be bullying or intimidating it?

Is the tort well hydrated? How often do you soak it? A tort that is not eating must be soaked daily for at least 30 minutes in warm water. Use a high sided bowl that your tort cannot see through or over.

How long have you had this tortoise? Have you changed your setup recently? Some torts handle change very badly and can go on hunger strike for weeks while they decide that you are not a predator and the enclosure is safe. Daily soaks, gentle handling and leaving your tort entirely alone to be brave are the key here.
he live alone right now and temp is like 87F because he has runny nose and paratise.. I soak him like 15 min per day.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
he live alone right now and temp is like 87F because he has runny nose and paratise.. I soak him like 15 min per day.
Make the soaks longer - 30 minutes minimum

Have you seen a vet about the runny nose and the parasites?

Where is it 87F? It needs to be 95-100F directly under the basking lamp and, while your tort is sick, the rest of the enclosure needs to be a steady 80-85F day and night.

Brucekim

Hello Bruce

you konw what? my country don't allow to import mazori lol... Idon;t know why..

Brucekim

87F spot is just below of hot zone which is just below basking lamp. yea I already met vet and I got drog for tortoise. Oh my god.. then I will change right now.!

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Welcome to the forum, Brucekim. Sorry you have a sick tort. Following the advice you get on here will greatly improve your torts chance for recovery. Please include a pic when you can. Thanks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tortoises do not suffer from anorexia there is something wrong with your tortoise or its environment maybe both. Sounds like it's too cold and it's got a runny nose and may have a respiratory infection starting you need to keep it warmer I would do baby food (carrot) soaks as well

Fl@sh

For the runny nose hold your tort face down, make sure you have a good grip. This will result in the mucus from his runny nose to drip out and he will feel a little better and may eat. Ensure temps are correct as well and house him separate from any other tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
For the runny nose hold your tort face down, make sure you have a good grip. This will result in the mucus from his runny nose to drip out and he will feel a little better and may eat. Ensure temps are correct as well and house him separate from any other tortoise.
I have never heard this before. It certainly wasn't recommended by me vet to treat Joe when he had his URI.

Get the temperatures correct, raise humidity, get antibiotics to treat the URI.

Recovery is very slow for torts. I found Joe was more likely to take a soaked pelleted food in the early days.

Fl@sh

I have never heard this before. It certainly wasn't recommended by me vet to treat Joe when he had his URI.

Get the temperatures correct, raise humidity, get antibiotics to treat the URI.

Recovery is very slow for torts. I found Joe was more likely to take a soaked pelleted food in the early days.
Torts only breath through their nose, if you picked up a tort with RNS and held it by its shell with its head facing down it drips all the excess mucus. less mucus more oxygen more activity and brain function. Ive seen it been done before with a sick tort who had RNS

Fl@sh

Its just advice that may help a wee sick fellow . Always free to ignore it if you want. Again, I've seen the procedure being done and im not grasping at straws .

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts only breath through their nose, if you picked up a tort with RNS and held it by its shell with its head facing down it drips all the excess mucus. less mucus more oxygen more activity and brain function. Ive seen it been done before with a sick tort who had RNS
As far as I understand it, tort's nose is joined to the mouth, unlike a human's. The absence of a hard palate is why a tort submerges nostrils when drinking.

Perhaps one of the TFO vets like exoticsdr, @Ferretinmyshoes, @deadheadvet could clarify or confirm whether this tipping technique makes sense for URI or not.

@Yvonne G and @Tidgy's Dad seem to have good understanding of this area too

Fl@sh

Awesome. Would be great to hear a professional opinion. I have seen it first hand though so I know it works :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see why it wouldn't work, however, it would be a much slower treatment than flushing out the nostrils with saline solution.

To the original question: Once you have to tortoise set up as he should be, with the correct heat and lights, then veggies would be good. If you can't get Mazuri or Komodo Dragon Diet, then give him things like zucchini (lady fingers), bell pepper, etc. Can you find any kind of manufactured tortoise food either in your country or online?

ZM-130_Grassland_Tortoise_Food.jpg

I suppose it would be a good idea for us to know what species of tortoise you have. The above pictured diet is good for grazing tortoises, but not so good for tortoises that eat fruit and bugs.

Fl@sh

Very True Yvonne, saline solution would work although it's kind of a stressful process for a little tort. Correct me if I'm wrong this way there is no stressing out the animal. Thank you for your feedback.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Very True Yvonne, saline solution would work although it's kind of a stressful process for a little tort. Correct me if I'm wrong this way there is no stressing out the animal. Thank you for your feedback.
A tortoise in this state is severely stressed in any case by illness and by antibiotic injections. The use of saline to relieve breathing is actually a short term stress for a long term gain