What's the Humidity range for Aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
What's the Humidity range for Aldabra? I checked many books written by Taiwanese and Japanese, they never give Humidity range for Aldabra (they give humidity range for all other tortoises)!

I looked at Google satellite map and found Aldabra is a small round island in middle of Indian Ocean near Africa and Madagasca. And in the centre of the island is a very large lake or sea lake. There is not much land in Aldabra island, how can they still have 100,000 Aldabra tortoises, considering their size so big! There are trees and grasses there. So I think the humidity level there is quite humid? 75%-85% is a good range?

The humidity here is 70%-75% now, My Aldabra loves water, and always soaks himself in water pool or on drinking-water plate.

I am afraid he might get shell diseases!! because his bottom shell is always wet!! Many books said we shouldn't give too high humidity for Aldabras, because they can get shell diseases. So what should I do? Humid? or not humid? that's the question..... thanks. :D

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I am giving you a bump.......ready------BUMP :D

Thank you for answering me :shy:

you mean if humidity below 75%, my aldabra will get bumps? :(

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
Rustyiron said:
Thank you for answering me :shy:

you mean if humidity below 75%, my aldabra will get bumps? :(

No he's bumping your thread so you get some helpful replies :)
Hopefully someone will see this soon and give you an answer. I know we have a aldabra breeder and a few people who have aldabras on here so they should be able to help :)

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Your humidity levels sound good. How old is your aldabra? Any young tortoise should have access to a warm humid spot to hide. As for his shell being wet..It shouldn't be dripping wet all the time as that can potentially cause shell rot as you mentioned. In addition to a warm humid place to hide, he should also have a place where he can be dry and warm himself up.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL...yup, bumps all over....and if you touch him too much hair will grow from the tips of your fingers and toes....LOL ;)

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Thank you all, I understand now ;)

One more question. My Aldabra is now 10.6cm & 400g, but he loves to drink a lot of water. He drinks around 54g of water all the time! Is this normal? Thanks.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Rustyiron said:

One more question. My Aldabra is now 10.6cm & 400g, but he loves to drink a lot of water. He drinks around 54g of water all the time! Is this normal? Thanks.

Completely normal.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
Rustyiron said:

Completely normal.

Oh, thank you, and relieved. :)

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
My red foot is growing and started to look bumpy too. Brought two clay flower pots and soak them to use as humid hides. Better to get two cause I need to switch one and soak the other. it's been 3 months and the bumps seems less obvious. Worth a try and it's easy to clean

Unvarnished brown ones, see photo

image-4015505421.png

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Sammy said:
My red foot is growing and started to look bumpy too. Brought two clay flower pots and soak them to use as humid hides. Better to get two cause I need to switch one and soak the other. it's been 3 months and the bumps seems less obvious. Worth a try and it's easy to clean

Unvarnished brown ones, see photo

View attachment 13814

good idea, thank you!!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
If you want a more humid hidebox, take a plastic shoebox with the lid, turn it upside down, cut a hole for the entrance and fill it with damp sphagnum moss. This type of hidebox can retain humidity in the 90%+ range.

Status
Not open for further replies.