What's the lowest height above substrate to hang light/CHE?

seadogrun

Location (City and/or State)
Pompano Beach, FL
I am in the process of converting my enclosure to make it enclosed chamber. This would be much easier if I could hang the lights (zoo med dual lamp) in the enclosure instead of on top of the enclosure.

If I hang it in the enclosure I have about 7-8" to the substrate from the bottom of the light fixture, which makes it 8.5-9.5" bulb height to the substrate.

I think the UVB 18" will be fine at 13"

I have a thermostat on the way and I will buy whatever daylight basking bulb and CHE to make this work, but I'm not sure if this height can work with any lights.

So, how low would you go?

Thanks everyone!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of them come with instructions advising 12". But we go a step further and say 12" above the TORTOISE's back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in the process of converting my enclosure to make it enclosed chamber. This would be much easier if I could hang the lights (zoo med dual lamp) in the enclosure instead of on top of the enclosure.

If I hang it in the enclosure I have about 7-8" to the substrate from the bottom of the light fixture, which makes it 8.5-9.5" bulb height to the substrate.

I have a thermostat on the way and I will buy whatever daylight basking bulb and CHE to make this work, but I'm not sure if this height can work with any lights.

Thanks everyone!
What kind of "dual lamp" and what is in it? Do you mean a MVB that does heat, UV and light all in one bulb, or do you mean one of those double fixtures with a spot lamp and a cfl UV bulb?

Either one isn't going to work well in your new enclosure. MVBs run too hot, and 8 or 9 inches is too close unless your tortoise is very small and you are using a low wattage flood lamp.

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts

Thanks everyone!

I’m in the same process hahahah! What kind of tortoise do you have and how old is he/she? I’m fairly certain a younger tortoise (a yearling or younger) requires a different height, but i’m really not sure.

seadogrun

Pompano Beach, FL
Most of them come with instructions advising 12". But we go a step further and say 12" above the TORTOISE's back.
Thanks, i know the light/CHE would not work that low, but I don't know about the lower wattage bulbs.

What kind of "dual lamp" and what is in it? Do you mean a MVB that does heat, UV and light all in one bulb, or do you mean one of those double fixtures with a spot lamp and a cfl UV bulb?

Either one isn't going to work well in your new enclosure. MVBs run too hot, and 8 or 9 inches is too close unless your tortoise is very small and you are using a low wattage flood lamp.

It is a double fixture (i know) with a 100W basking bulb on one side and a 100W CHE on the other. They are on separate timers.

I’m in the same process hahahah! What kind of tortoise do you have and how old is he/she? I’m fairly certain a younger tortoise (a yearling or younger) requires a different height, but i’m really not sure.
The tortoise is a 5 month old Red Foot that we got a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately I took advice from the local reptile store, but now I'm trying to get it set up properly.

Thanks everyone!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your Redfoot doesn't need high heat. You need 81 to 87. With 84 as perfect. They will overheat at the temperatures that some other tortoises like.
Redfoot also do not like bright lights. So heating by a small CHE is what I would recommend. Also, those bright heat lamps burn up a lot of humidity. And you need to keep it above 80%.
Use a florescent strip for UVB. Mine are about 8" above the tortoises.
Most new members arrive here with a lot of bad information given to them by pet shops. Often with a lot of expensive junk that was also sold to them.
You're in good hands, here.

Attachments

• 20181011_101057.jpg
    20181011_101057.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 41

seadogrun

Pompano Beach, FL
Your Redfoot doesn't need high heat. You need 81 to 87. With 84 as perfect. They will overheat at the temperatures that some other tortoises like.
Redfoot also do not like bright lights. So heating by a small CHE is what I would recommend. Also, those bright heat lamps burn up a lot of humidity. And you need to keep it above 80%.
Use a florescent strip for UVB. Mine are about 8" above the tortoises.
Most new members arrive here with a lot of bad information given to them by pet shops. Often with a lot of expensive junk that was also sold to them.
You're in good hands, here.

Thanks ZP - Just to be sure, you are saying to get rid of the basking light? Then I could hand a low power CHE at 9 inches and put it on a thermostat.

And yes i have a florescent tube for UVB currently at 11". And yes, thats me, lots of bad info.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In that smallish tank,
the basking light might not be needed at all.
You certainly don't need all that light.
Just some heat. And in reality, not much heat.
The florescent light strip does put out a little warmth as part of the ballast. And coupled with a low wattage CHE INSIDE of a closed chamber, I'll bet you'll be fine.
Less complicated and easier too!
My closed chamber actually used just the florescent lamp with no other heat source. But it was a custom, short sided, wide tank.
It was 81-82 in there all day long with my house AC cranking out at 73.

Last edited:

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Subdued light, warm and humid. RFs are fringe forest/jungle torts. At 9” even a 60w CHE might be enough in a close chamber. 9” is pretty close. Get a temp gun thermometer to double check temps at shell height.