What's to hot for Sulcatas?

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I was warned by Tom that my torts can overheat and die in my new enclosure. He warned me first day i built it. I just built outdoor enclosre for sun time. They'll get about 1 hour 3 times a week. It's 80 degrees now and I know floor temps are usually 10 degrees higher than air temp. It's 80 degrees now and enclosure is 90 degrees. That's good temps right? Don't bring them out if it's hotter than 80 degrees air temp, so floor can be 90 degrees.

Ok im gonna make my rule of thumb to only bring them out if air temp is between 70 to 80 degrees. So floor temp will be 80 to 90 degrees. Im I good guys? Please help with feedback

Current temp is 80 degree and enclosre temp is 91 degrees. 20180516_123145.jpg20180516_123056.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like ambient temp for babies to get much over the mid 90's. Over 100 is potentially dangerous.

Its okay to bring them out on hotter days, but make sure that most of the enclosure is in the shade on a hot day so that they can get out of the sun and cool down. You can sun them on 100 degree days, but be sure, absolutely sure, that most of their enclosure is less than 100 by using misters, sprinklers and lots of deep shade, and checking early and often with two thermometers. Shade should come from high overhead, like from a tree or umbrella or a building.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate your meat thermometer is going to be out in the sun. I like to use a remote probed digital thermometer AND an infrared temp gun. Keep in mind that making a mistake here means your tortoises die. Be careful. This is why its best to make a large outdoor enclosure that has bushes, lots of shade and areas for them to get out of the sun.

When in doubt, leave them inside in their large closed chambers. (Once you get yours built…)

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I don't like ambient temp for babies to get much over the mid 90's. Over 100 is potentially dangerous.

Its okay to bring them out on hotter days, but make sure that most of the enclosure is in the shade on a hot day so that they can get out of the sun and cool down. You can sun them on 100 degree days, but be sure, absolutely sure, that most of their enclosure is less than 100 by using misters, sprinklers and lots of deep shade, and checking early and often with two thermometers. Shade should come from high overhead, like from a tree or umbrella or a building.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate your meat thermometer is going to be out in the sun. I like to use a remote probed digital thermometer AND an infrared temp gun. Keep in mind that making a mistake here means your tortoises die. Be careful. This is why its best to make a large outdoor enclosure that has bushes, lots of shade and areas for them to get out of the sun.

When in doubt, leave them inside in their large closed chambers. (Once you get yours built…)
Thanks Tom, you're a lifesaver, literally. I have a heavy duty old patio style umbrella. Pretty wide about 8'. I will make a mount and add it to enclosure. Will probably remove wheels so it won't turn into a sail boat with umbrella. Thanks for your input. You've kept me informed and and helped keep my torts safe[emoji106]This enclosure is temporary, I will build bigger enclosure soon.20180516_140657.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, you're a lifesaver, literally. I have a heavy duty old patio style umbrella. Pretty wide about 8'. I will make a mount and add it to enclosure. Will probably remove wheels so it won't turn into a sail boat with umbrella. Thanks for your input. You've kept me informed and and helped keep my torts safe[emoji106]This enclosure is temporary, I will build bigger enclosure soon.

One thing I do when sunning babies in small portable outdoor enclosures is to set the enclosure in a spot that becomes more shady as the sun moves. This way, if I accidentally forget them or get distracted, the babies end up in full shade, alive and well, instead of ending up in full sun and cooking. Its easy to keep pushing the enclosure farther into the sun as we do periodic checks on the sunning babies. Using this method, I can always adjust and keep just the right amount of sun for any given day, but yet still be safe when I make one of those complacent human mistakes.