Whats too hot for redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Supposed to be 98 sunny in Mass next 2 days... Can i put my redfoots outside tommorow?
Thanks, Jared

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
RE: Whats to hot for redfoots

It looks like it's going to be the same here. Mine are outside too. Tomorrow AM I'm going to hose down the garden and then in the afternoon I'll do it again, and I just make sure the water in the small pond is cool enough. If it reaches 100 I'll take them in. I wouldn't leave them out if they are really small, and make sure that they have good shade and a cool place to get out of the heat.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
RE: Whats to hot for redfoots

Okayy ill be putting them out, i try to water them as much as possible during the day, and only my bigger 3 will be outside, the new hatchlings will be watching out the window

1208jen

5 Year Member
Niskayuna, NY
Mine are out too in their tortoise pen. They stayed out all night last night for the first time. I rushed out to see them this morning and gave them a soak in the shade. They seemed fine and eat shortly thereafter. They are back in their pen now. I'm a little nervous that it might be too hot for them. I think I'll give them another cool soak!!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If high temps are a fairly regular issue, look into setting up a hose with some fitting to offer a cooling mist, a hose timer, and some sort of simple stand.

Also, take your IR thermometer or similar tool and see what the actual ground temps are in the main hide, plant shade, etc.- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how cool it can be in places like that!

Don't forget, you can cool your hides down if you need to by doing things like putting reflective foil on top, covering them in sod, etc.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
With this discussion of heat, what would be considered too hot? Whether that is indoors or not.

Tweaking temps. in your indoor enclosure can sometimes be tricky. I currently use a typical light timer to turn the emitter on/off. I have tried the light dimmers, but I was going through CHE's very quickly and someone told me that they need a constant charge to work and run effectively.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Madkins007 said:
If high temps are a fairly regular issue, look into setting up a hose with some fitting to offer a cooling mist, a hose timer, and some sort of simple stand.

Also, take your IR thermometer or similar tool and see what the actual ground temps are in the main hide, plant shade, etc.- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how cool it can be in places like that!

Don't forget, you can cool your hides down if you need to by doing things like putting reflective foil on top, covering them in sod, etc.

Today is 93 outside and with the temp. gun, under the big Hosta, where Pio is sitting (always sits under this one big Hosta) it is 84. I should have taken the temp. yesterday when it was 99 here. There is a big difference, and that was before I hosed the garden down.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Interesting! Im gonna have to bring my thermoter thing outside and move it around the putdoor enclousure, its was very humid in Mass the past 2 days also, they loved it!

Status
Not open for further replies.