Whats wrong with my guys shell?

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Call me oblivious but tonight after weighing Chet(105g now) I noticed something funky. Not sure if its from growing so fast or what but it doesnt look right. Here are some pics. Some spots are raised like bumps and then there are others that appear to be indents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1381533018646.jpg
    1381533018646.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 1381533032423.jpg
    1381533032423.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 144

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Those little spots that have you worried look to me like precursors to shell rot. Time to get him on a dryer substrate. It's ok for the substrate to be wet underneath, but let the top layer dry out a bit more. Temporarily you need to keep his plastron dry...say, for about a week. It wouldn't hurt to dab on a bit of athlete's foot cream too.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
its suggested to have a layer of coco coir, and a layer of sphagnum moss on top of that. keeping the coir damp for humidity, and the moss keeps the torts shell from being wet all the time.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Ok thanks ill give that a shot. He likes to dig down in the dirt and bury himself in it. Maybe its a little to damp in his little holes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
The "pebble-y" looking areas are the way the shell appears on very young/hatchling russians. The growth looks nice and smooth. Sometimes the ripples and indentations will appear on torts kept of a very soft substrate. It makes the shell appear rumpled-almost wrinkled even in some cases. It is not a dangerous sign typically. Future growth and a firmer substrate smooth those out quite readily in youngsters.. I dont see any areas of rot or anything particularly unhealthy here.