Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A nice 27C (81F) and sunny, UV is high above 11. A massive rain storm just swept over the sky and it looks a dark blue, rain or hail is coming. A few hours later, and it's raining, merry christmas!
UV index of 11? What are you measuring that with? Mid day summer sun here is UVI 7-8 with a Solarmeter 6.5. I've never seen 11.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Had a much better day tort spotting by the beach. Saw this adult perched outside a burrow on a dune:

View attachment 338017
View attachment 338018
View attachment 338019
View attachment 338020
View attachment 338021
Then, I saw another youngster tooling around the dune. This one was probably about 6”. Both were less than 100 feet away from the burrow from yesterday.
Awesome pic. Love that he is just straight chilling. That weather makes me excited for warmer weather. Can't wait to be at the beach this summer.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Tom I use a weather app, the predicted UV was 8-10, but it reached 15. You can't be longer tham a few minutes outside or you'll get burntScreenshot_20211226-071121_Chrome.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This must be a different scale than what we are using with our Solarmeter 6.5s.

@Markw84 can you shed some light?
Really don't know. I do know my weather station here always shows a UVI way higher than my solarmeter reads. But that's a moderate priced home weather station. I wouldn't expect the "official" weather stations to give such a high UVI reading if they have state-of-art technology. The less expensive UVI readers do read all UV, including UVA - which is a much greater component of sunlight. Those types, typically read much higher than a solarmeter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Our UV index here on a dark, dreary Wintry Maryland day is just less than 3.0

The UV index

View attachment 338032
I just looked up mine on this same site. Willy weather. It says my high UVI today got up to 2.8 and that right now it is 1.8. The highest reading I can get on my Solarmeter 6.5 in full direct sun with the lens pointed right at the sun is a 1.0, and it took a bit of trying to aim it just right to get that. It was mostly 0.8 or 0.9.

IMG_5821.jpg

I then took the Solarmeter inside and put it under my Arcadia 12% HO bulb and I was able to get up to 5.2.
IMG_5825.jpg

Just by dumb luck, the timer for my UV tube kicked off while I was sitting there trying to get this pic, and the meter immediately dropped to 0.0.

So Mark, and @Markw84 , do our 6.5 Solarmeters just give a particularly low reading? If yes, have we been exposing our tortoises to too much UV? My highest outdoor UV readings in direct sun mid day in summer are only 7.9-8.0 on my meter. But parts of South Africa are 13-15? That seems like our Solarmeters must be using some sort of different calibration or scale than the UVI readers being used by these sources. Which one is correct? Which one should we go by?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds to me like someone who understands these things should contact the makers of the meter and ask to speak with their science guy.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... Ohio came close to breaking a record for the warmest Christmas on record but was one of the top five contenders. I had a pond in the back yard yesterday. If it was cold I can't imagine how deep the snow would have been ? what's the general rule 1 inch of rain to 10 inches of snow? Thank the good Lord we're only at the edge of the flood plane.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have talked to the guys at Solarmeter several times before. The difference is the algorithm to weight the reading to the erythemal UV, not the whole UV. In sunlight, there is a lot of UVA that is not in the erythemal action spectrum and that will give a much higher reading if there is not a filter to just read the UVB range we are interested in. That's one of the main reasons a solarmeter is much more expensive than other UVI readers you see marketed.

In coming up with the ferguson zones and the data used by Fracis Baines in all her reports, the solarmeter 6.5 was used. That is the standard used for all recommendations. She even just finished her "solstice day" where she asks everyone with a solarmeter 6.5 to take readings from wherever they are in the world on the winter solstice. She has a collection site for all the data and uses that to compare readings from around the world. She does the same thing for our summer soltice in June.

Trust the Solarmeter 6.5 reading. The other readings you will se can be all over the place. I even had them recalibrate my meter at Solarmeter a year ago or so - just to be sure what I'm seeing is correct. It came back matching all the reading I had been recording.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ok it's December 27 and 66f at 5:30pm outside. Whhaatt! I'm not crazy about snow and ice but this just isn't right. I live in Ohio.??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have talked to the guys at Solarmeter several times before. The difference is the algorithm to weight the reading to the erythemal UV, not the whole UV. In sunlight, there is a lot of UVA that is not in the erythemal action spectrum and that will give a much higher reading if there is not a filter to just read the UVB range we are interested in. That's one of the main reasons a solarmeter is much more expensive than other UVI readers you see marketed.

In coming up with the ferguson zones and the data used by Fracis Baines in all her reports, the solarmeter 6.5 was used. That is the standard used for all recommendations. She even just finished her "solstice day" where she asks everyone with a solarmeter 6.5 to take readings from wherever they are in the world on the winter solstice. She has a collection site for all the data and uses that to compare readings from around the world. She does the same thing for our summer soltice in June.

Trust the Solarmeter 6.5 reading. The other readings you will se can be all over the place. I even had them recalibrate my meter at Solarmeter a year ago or so - just to be sure what I'm seeing is correct. It came back matching all the reading I had been recording.
Thank you for your thorough explanations about lighting products!