What's your opinion on...

dannylozano10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,tx
Hey guys what is the difference between the regular cuttle bone than the cactus calcium block? Just wondering because I might order one

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454035682.802368.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454035658.959591.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454035658.959591.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 7

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My 50 pound Sulcata is my only tortoise that touches it. They all eat cuttle bones.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the cuddle bones are real cheap here $0.25 apiece @ my feed store, so simple 2 ne

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
no reason I can think of

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried the Zoomed blocks. Not one of my tortoises would touch it. I tried for two years.

Prairie Mom

I have not had luck with the block either. I use powder supplements for my tortoise as well as other animals that have extremely high calcium/vit d3 requirements. I prefer to use a small pinch of powder and add it to their favorite foods. I have never had issues feeding powder in small amounts.

I also like to know where my calcium is coming from. Lately, I've been using some made from oyster shells.

Just as a side-note since you were asking about members opinions, I thought I'd share mine:)

Cuttlefish are among my very favorite animals. I love them!
cuttlefish.jpg

They're beautiful and known to be extremely intelligent with great problem solving abilities. The idea of them being harvested purely as a calcium source for reptiles, birds, and small mammals makes me a bit sad. The few times I've found the bones washed up on the beach, I gladly use them, but otherwise I like to think of these creatures being left to live in the sea. I prefer to use other forms of calcium. --Just my opinion :)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Tried it with my tortoise,Spud.
He had a nibble when I first put it in there but then started to ignore it and it just turned into a climbing toy.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
since it's a different color than cuddle fish by itself maybe it taste different?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I will stick with cuttlefish and eggshells thank you very much

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Thanks for all the advice and "opinions" lol I think I will get the block just to try and I'll get the powder in case he doesn't care for the block.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I bought it about a year and a half ago because it has additional additives, like opuntia.
Odin has never touched it.

I have scraped it over his food a few times to see if maybe he would get a taste for it and recognize the smell as food.
Nothing.

Keep in mind, he is a sully, and spoiled rotten, so your results may vary. It's worth a shot.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
I bought it about a year and a half ago because it has additional additives, like opuntia.
Odin has never touched it.

I have scraped it over his food a few times to see if maybe he would get a taste for it and recognize the smell as food.
Nothing.

Keep in mind, he is a sully, and spoiled rotten, so your results may vary. It's worth a shot.

Thank you I will...