What's your tort parenting style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
During the week, our two CDTs are mainly cared for by my husband, who works from home. On the weekend, I'm in charge. Anyway, I recently found out some amusing differences in the way hubby and I care for the torts. We don't have kids yet, but we'd like to, and I suspect we are learning our parenting styles courtesy of the torts. :D

Here's how it goes down at our house:

-I took them off their favorite food, zucchini, cold turkey about three weeks ago, so they would eat healthier stuff instead. And I make them a delicious weed salad before I go to work, which hubby merely has to put out when they wake up. Well I just found out hubby snuck them each a scoop of shredded zucchini every day this week as an afternoon snack! The underminer!

-I let them roam in our fenced yard after their soaks, but I follow them around like a hawk. Hubby let's them roam, but goes inside and watches them from the window while he works. The permissiveness!

-I put them in a box, or cradle them against my chest when I carry them inside at night, like precious cargo. Hubby carries them 2 at a time, like palming two basketballs. The danger!

And you know what? They LIKE HIM BETTER! Harrumpf. Wait till they're in college. They'll appreciate me then.

What about you? Are you the primary tort caregiver in your house or do you share duties? Ever disagree about how to care for them?

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Hahaha. I love this concept, and the comparisons to raising children.
However, in the tort world, I'm a single parent. LoL

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
The tortoise was my idea to get, so I do all the feeding, cleaning and soaking. If Shermann ever does get let onto the setee for 5 minutes, he always stomps over to Pete and tries to hide at the side of him. Maybe because he sits on the end.

Shermann isn't too fussy about who gives him head scratches, as long as he can see them coming first!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks to those who weighed in! I do feel like parenting animals and kids can have some interesting parallels. But I guess we'll see about that some day. :)

EKLC

5 Year Member
I bring them to their outdoor pens at 9:30, spray them down at around 2 when it's hot, and bring them in at 9:30 pm.

I give them a vitamin A source like squash with calcium every two weeks or so.

Pretty simple, but only as the result of a few years of obsession and enclosure design, and of course I still love them to death.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm a single parent when it comes to my turtles and tortoises . But I like it that way I'm OCD when it comes to my little guys .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
They're mine and my wife's involvement is to every once in a while look at them. Same way with my snakes and canaries.

Her thing is the bunny, the cavies and the Burke 'keets.

Fair division of labor, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.