What's your tort's daily schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I often see "is my tort lazy/sick/weird" cause he sleeps so much questions on here, and I thought it'd be interesting to learn what folks say about their torts' daily habits.

Here's the deal on mine. Their schedules stay remarkably consistent from day to day. We've only had them since April, but I assume their routines will change as the seasons do.

Gomez and Morticia, CDTs, ages 5 and 3, live outside during the day and inside at night.

~8:00am: Wake up groggy inside, gaze imploringly at Food God, go for soak outside (2X/week), breakfast, sunshine time
~10am: Morticia goes in the burrow
~11am: Gomez goes in the burrow
~3pm: Gomez comes out of the burrow to graze, climb, make mischief
~4pm: Morticia comes out of the burrow to graze, chill out under a plant, roll eyes at Gomez
~5:30pm: Morticia goes back in the burrow
~6pm: Gomez goes back the burrow
~8pm: Evil twin of Food God lifts sleeping torts inside

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard has two schedules. One when he has to stay inside and one when he gets to go outside. In about another week, that will probably change as he will be outside 24/7.
Inside routine
8 lights on, 8:30 wakes and eats walks around some then back to corner around 10
Approx, 1 or 2 back up, walks around maybe eat some more then into a different corner.
Around 5 back up into his sleep corner.
On days I soak him, I get him up around 6 soak back in around 6:30 and he eats again and back off to his corner for the night.

Outside routine.
Up at 8 eats, outside around 11 then he wonders hides, wonders, hides, wonders hides all day until around 5:30-6 when I bring him back in.
A lot more active outside. Luckily only about a week to go and he can stay out. My leopard is 2yrs. 3months.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
wellington said:
My leopard has two schedules. One when he has to stay inside and one when he gets to go outside. In about another week, that will probably change as he will be outside 24/7.
Inside routine
8 lights on, 8:30 wakes and eats walks around some then back to corner around 10
Approx, 1 or 2 back up, walks around maybe eat some more then into a different corner.
Around 5 back up into his sleep corner.
On days I soak him, I get him up around 6 soak back in around 6:30 and he eats again and back off to his corner for the night.

Outside routine.
Up at 8 eats, outside around 11 then he wonders hides, wonders, hides, wonders hides all day until around 5:30-6 when I bring him back in.
A lot more active outside. Luckily only about a week to go and he can stay out. My leopard is 2yrs. 3months.

Interesting how different his habits are inside vs out -- changing corners must not be as exciting as fresh air! I bet he'll be delighted when he's outside 24/7.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He will be very happy I hope. Me on the other hand will be a nervous reck.
Yes, his activity inside is very lazy. If I change up his enclosure then he gets active for about a week, then back to lazy. I haven't changed it for a while, as the outdoor enclosure was suppose to be finished already. Oh well another week won't hurt. At least he gets out almost every day.

ulkal

5 Year Member
I have two 1-yr old leopards-This is the schedule now:
1.Wake up between 7 am and 8 am
2.as soon as I catch them walking under the lamp I soak them for
30 min in warm water
3. Food inside- sometimes I wait after the soak to make them run for it a bit
4. Weather permitting I put them outside-this happens around 10 am; i spray their
shells and the outside enclosure with warm water
5. they usually bask in the sunlight
6. hide around 12
7. put them inside around 6, soak again, offer some more food, spray the
enclosure for the night
8. back in the hide around 7

I'm not on the dot though ;)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
All my torts have basically the same schedule: eat, sleep, poop, repeat.

My Russian and sullies are waiting on their food dishes at 6am when I come out to feed them. My stars like to sleep in and generally eat after I've already left for work. After breakfast, they all go back into hiding until the sun warms up, around 9ish or so, depending on weather. Then they'll generally wander around, graze a bit, sun-bathe a bit, and spend the rest of the day hanging out in the shade or wandering between sunny spots, shady spots, and their hides. I get home around 4 and soak my two youngest torts and feed them again. Around 7ish, it starts to cool down and my torts wander back into their heated hides.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
I have a Sulcata that will be a year old in Sept. He wakes up about 7am and lazily drags himself out of his humid hide to the sunlamp where I have just sprayed down the substrate. He gets a bath from 7:15 - approx 7:50. Then he eats and goes back to basking under the lamp. An hour later he is running around his turtle table eating the little seed sprouts. Then I am off to work. He goes outside from 12-1 every week day for lunch - again when I bring him in I spray down his substrate. At 5:00 he goes back out for an hour. Then gets another bath about 6:00 but usually does not want to be in the water longer than 15 min or so, then he eats and around 7ish crawls back into his humid hide and most of the time stays there - its lights out between 7:30 and 8pm. On the weekends, he is usually outside from 11 - 3. However, it seems he spends quite a bit of that time eating and running around trying to find a way out of his enclosure or in his wood shelter to get out of the sun and have a nap. He is a very happy little guy.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
We also have the indoor schedule and the outdoor schedule.

On an inside day:
7am~lights turn on
9am~Carl surfaces, wanders around in search of food that I make him exercise for
11am~ if food has not arrived, Carl goes back into his burrow and pretends to be asleep. However, I know this is not the case because he comes zooming out and is to the food bowl on the other side of the enclosure before I have a chance to sprinkle it with calcium powder.
12pm~ One last trip around the enclosure before going to bed
4pm~ I occasionally feed Carl twice a day and he seems to have caught on as he usually resurfaces at this time and double checks his food dish. If there is something in it, he eats, if not, he goes straight back to bed without making his usual rounds.
6pm~ Carl comes out to bask underneath the heat lamp for about a half an hour before going back to bed
7pm~lights out

On an outside day:
7am~lights turn on
9am~Carl surfaces
11:30am~ I take Carl outdoors and give him food, which is devoured within minutes
12pm~After the food is finished, Carl will soak in his outdoor water dish on his own, something he never does indoors
12:15pm~ Carl begins the rounds. He will wander his baby pool, going around the circle, stopping to sniff the occasional piece of mulch and maybe even trying to eat it.
4pm~ Carl gets tired of wandering in circles and finds a good place to dig a hole
5pm~ Just as he's getting cozy in his hole, I dig Carl up and bring him indoors, where he promptly walks into his burrow doesn't surface again until morning.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Seems like the Sullies are the morning torts. My DTs would never be up at 6! Their indoor enclosure is in the kitchen and no amount of coffee brewing, egg scrambling or newspaper crinkling gets them out of their hides before 8. And even then they look annoyed. :D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Eat. Poop. Roam. Sleep. Repeat.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My leopards light goes on at 8am. I feed my human kids breakfast first then pull him out for a soak. After his soak he goes into the outdoor pen and starts cruising as I water the whole pen.

Next I go to the Russian pen and water it down while the 4 of them bask along the perimeter.(I let them out of their night box when I bring the leopard out)

Next while I water my lawn I pull weeds and trim the edible plants I grow. This all then gets tossed into the torts pens so no good food is wasted ;)
All of this is done by 10am.

Many times throughout the day I visit the pens. I'm a stay at home mom so I check on them a lot..
Each visit they are doing different things (grazing, drinking, self soaking, cruising..).They are all very active unless it's the heat of the day. When it is hot I spray the pens down with water again and they all come out and enjoy the water.
By 5 or 6 I check on the Russians. They have all put themselves away in their night box and I lock them up. I then bring in my leopard who might get another soak and/or the occasional Mazuri dinner. He goes into his humid chamber and lights off at 8.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The men folk have a revolving schedule...they let me know when it revolves....lol....seriously, they are too grown to follow any silly schedule I have tried to set in place....

The redfoot torts are still to young to realize that we humans are so easily trained...so they wake up when the bright lights come on, they stomp around knowing that after the lights comes the grub and fresh water/and spritz....and then they are on their own to do whatever they come up with....then at night they do the river stomp, eat and then retreat and look at me like, "uh, lights please"

The turtles, whenever they see anyone/anything walk past their tank--it becomes a shamu and mamu show---it is absolutely ridiculous....but adorable in a sick kinda way....

That is is...

The redfoot torts are still to young to realize

Should have said The redfoot torts are still TOO young to realize...apology for the error....one of my pet peeves at that....lol

haidao88

5 Year Member
I seem to have a different schedule than everyone ... Lights on at 6 (summer time) and the humidifer. I look at them they go from humid hide to sun and to their weed patch and cuttlebone... Hangout until 4-5 I feed them then soak them... feeding is usually outside for sun...then lights off around 6 and they walk a bit then go back in their hide... Tell me if I need to worry

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

They seem prett active out whenever I come by

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe, who is outdoors, is purely temperature controlled.

Around 7am on work days and 8am at weekends, I go out to track him down... he may or may not be where I last saw him the night before.
If it's colder and likely to remain so, I put him under the lamp in his dog kennel... he definitely won't have gone in there on his own.
I put out some food on the lawn and leave him to it.
When he has warmed up he comes out drinks, pees and eats... usually in that order.
Then he deals with any buttercup, clover or dandelion flowers that have decided to bloom overnight.
The rest of the day is spent grazing and snoozing if he's on his own.
Around 7pm, I track him down to make sure that he has chosen a reasonably sensible overnight sleep spot.

Handsomebobsowner

5 Year Member
8.00 sit till he hears me come out
8.05 yawn a few times
8.10 go muddy up his freshly cleaned bowl of water
8.15 sit on top of the pile of food and look at me as if to say where is my food

8.30 - 8pm continious bouts of sleeping, sunning him self and laps of the table moving his rocks around and throwing his hide to a new side lol
hes a funny thing and incredibly strong for a 4 inch hermann

EKLC

5 Year Member
9-11: go outside, bask, eat, explore
11-5: hide
5-7: come back out and eat again
7- sleep

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
My 22month old leopard tort very very rarely gets to go outside as it is never warm enough. But his routines vary from summer to winter.

Summer routine:
*7am - lights on, he's usually already awake in his plant pot
*he then gets fed whenever I feed him (i believe they wouldn't get food at the same time every day in the wild, just my opinion) which is usually around 8/9, sometimes even 12 if I have to go out and get his food
*he eats everything then retreats back to his plant pot
*will occasionally bask under his lamp
*comes over to his tiles whenever I put my hand in with/without snacks throughout the day
* on soaking days (every other day) he gets soaked and has a poop, weighed, measured, then back in for feeding
*9pm - light off, usually in or near his plant pot for bed time

Winter routine
*9am lights on - wakes up sleepy
* fed, eats most of the things, heads off under his basking lamp, stays there for a few hours before heading off to his plant pot for naps
*5/6pm lights off, sleeps in plant pot all night.

Yes, my tort is very lazy!

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
My 10 month old greek wakes up at about 7 am and used to go to bed about 5pm (lights off at 8.30pm). I've been a bit worried the last 2 weeks since he is still waking up at 7am but starting to dig himself in around 1-2pm. That is very early i feel. Still eating good is gaining about 2-3 grams per week. Temps, humidity and light levels have not changed.

Is this normal?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Wake up at around 11:30 or 12:00, then wander around for food. And at around 1:30 go to the basking rock. And then wander throughout the day. And she then goes back to bed at 5:30.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Status
Not open for further replies.