When a Sulcata is living outside, do you have to feed them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I give Dudley any leftovers after I've gone around and fed everyone else. Normally it's pretty slim pickins'. About twice a week I cut off a big branch from the mulberry tree and lay it in his yard, or a few pads of opuntia. But mainly he just grazes on the grass and weeds that grow in his yard.

I should qualify - Dudley is a 110lb sulcata. If he were a small tortoise living outside, and still growing, yes, I would feed him besides allowing him to graze.

My Aldabran tortoises were upwards of 200lbs, but still growing. So even though they had a large yard with lush grass and weeds, I still fed them daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Depends on the time of year here. In winter we get our rains and more food grows than they can eat. Grasses, mallow and so many others. I don't feed them at all during those 4 or 5 months. Any food I put on their tray is ignored. They walk past it and graze. The rest of the year, their enclosure is a dry desert wasteland with nothing growing in it. During that time they get a continual supply of Bermuda grass hay and orchard grass hay, and I feed them loads of opuntia pads. I also give them mulberry leaves, grape vines and any other odds and ends a few times a week.