When Can I Buy?

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
So i almost bought a tortoise from a breeder @Carol S and i backed out last second and i would like to purchase one but i don't know the mating seasons like do i wait till next year or is there another time this year i'm just unsure.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So i almost bought a tortoise from a breeder @Carol S and i backed out last second and i would like to purchase one but i don't know the mating seasons like do i wait till next year or is there another time this year i'm just unsure.
Contact Carol S and see what she has available. You don't have to buy a hatchling if you're nervous about it. Get one a little older.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Different tortoise species breed at different times of the year. And sometimes they breed at unusual times too. I just had two of my stars, which are usually winter layers drop eggs in July. Totally unexpected. Find a good breeder, like Carole, and tell her you want one when they are available. Don't buy from some online source that has a bad reputation and doesn't start their babies correctly. Find the right breeder. Ask the right questions. Carol is top notch. I'd stick with her if possible.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Sounds like you need more information. Thank goodness you have this forum at your disposal. There are many on here with decades of experience who can help you. You just have to narrow down what is best for your living situation, your means, your climate, your space, whether or not you have the help of those you love in this endeavor or if you are to be the sole caretaker. Read everything you can, then narrow your line of interest. You can always broaden it as you learn more.

T.G.