When can you move sulcata outside full time

Michael Malone

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Tx
Secil will be 1year old in April. And if his growth continues should be around 500-600 grams by then. I was thinking about moving him outside full time in the spring until winter. If it was possible. Let me know your thoughts thanks.IMG_0322.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I generally move my babies out when they're too big to be carried off by a bird. In the meantime, I put them out for an hour or so during the middle of the day, daily - but make sure he has shade to get out of the sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I move them outside full time, with a heated night box, when they reach 8-10".

When you start letting them live outside full time, you MUST make sure they are in their night box EVERY night.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
Ok thank y'all. And I've never measure him do u measure from nose to tail on plastron?

And also do lock them in there might box or do u just check to make sure they are in there and they say in there cause they know it's cold outside at night?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow spell check was not kind to me lol

Do you lock them in there night box?
Spellcheck gets us all!

I lock them in at night. In the past I didn't used to, and I have found them outside the box in the morning. I've lost lizards and tortoises this way on freezing nights. Just lock them in at night. Its safer and it also protects them from nocturnal predators like rats or raccoons. Having the door closed also makes it hold in the heat better.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
Ok thank you. And by the time they are ready to stay out side full time the hungry isn't as big of a factor is it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Humidity lol
Humidity is a factor as long as they are growing. I use water tubs in their night boxes to add humidity to the sleeping quarters. In the hot summer months when temps are 100+ every day, I spray water down their burrows to add some humidity in my super dry climate.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Ok thank y'all. And I've never measure him do u measure from nose to tail on plastron?

And also do lock them in there might box or do u just check to make sure they are in there and they say in there cause they know it's cold outside at night?

I typically put my Sulcata on a piece of paper and gently push him into a door frame and when he retracts into his shell, I mark the paper where the back of his shell his and that’s how I get his measurements.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Vladimir is over 11 pounds now so I'm pretty sure he's safe [emoji16]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have a lot of hawks. I worry that they will be able to pick them up at 4-5 inches. Mine are 7-8 inches now and I still worry. I guess I'm an over protective Nana. lol
Here is how I look at it Nana: If you are more protective than you need to be, nothing bad is gonna happen. On the other hand, if a person isn't careful enough...