When can you tell the sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
What age or size does a sulcata have to be before you can positively say of its male or female?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I think I remember reading that in about 5 years you may be able to tell. If a male, you may get flashed. Also, if male, the bottom of the plastron would have a concave appearance. If female, their plastron is a bit bulged. Can anyone else add to this?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
There really isnt an exact age or size when you will exactly know what sex it is. Some tortoises will randomly flash and tell you what they are before you can even have a clue what sex they are. I would say on average for the "new" way of raising sulcatas nice and smooth is around 2 years old and 10 inches is when you will probably be able to tell.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Eweezyfosheezy said:
There really isnt an exact age or size when you will exactly know what sex it is. Some tortoises will randomly flash and tell you what they are before you can even have a clue what sex they are. I would say on average for the "new" way of raising sulcatas nice and smooth is around 2 years old and 10 inches is when you will probably be able to tell.

I agree with this.

I think based on length rather than age because you could have a 1.9 year old 10 inch sulcata and you can tell its gender right away while you might see a 6 year old 6,7 or 8 inch sulcata that you still cant sex correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.