When Do I Call a Vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The round disk-type thermometers aren't doing you much good at the height you have them placed. You want to know the temperature down at tortoise level, not halfway up the wall. Also, besides the coil shaped light, which is not good, any light you set on top of a screen is going to lose benefits. The screen filters out most of the UVB rays.

I can see that you're trying to give your new tortoise the best care. Don't be discouraged. Once you get it set up it gets easier! He doesn't need a vet yet. When he gets used to his new home, he'll start eating.

Is there any way you can give him a safe, outdoor habitat?

BeckyB

Minnesota
Yes, I eventually want to build an outdoor enclosure, however the weather here is only nice about 4-5 months out of the year, so I wanted to make sure that his indoor enclosure was the best that it could be before I got started on his outdoor one.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Basking temperature should be 95F at tort level.

It is important to measure this accurately - a temperature gun thermometer is inexpensive from Amazon.

I love my temperature gun!* I felt a bit silly buying it ("How much am I going to spend on this darn tortoise?!) but it makes life much easier and you'll have peace of mind.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI62HM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

*It also makes for a great conversation starter at parties!

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hi Becky, I was Wondering if you could get your tortoise outside. I live be in northern Minnesota and the temps are so up and down this year. So when i get a chance I take them out. That will help with uvb and uva until you get your lighting up to par. If you can total about 2 hours a week they will need no other uvb. Just make sure you have shade available when outside. It will give you time to get better uvb and water dish. If you can continue to take your tort outside it will greatly benefit from it.

BeckyB

Minnesota
Thank you all, he is eating now and has a lot more energy compared to the first few days I had him!