When do I unite the clan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plowmandust77

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Griffith Indiana
I currently have a 5 inch yellow foot tortoise in a 6x2 tortoise table enclosure and I also have 2 baby red foots in my 3 foot viv.

Should I wait until their all on the same diet to move the small guys into the big enclosure with the yellow? The 3 foot is mainly setup for hatchlings with alot of spag moss and keep very humid. The 6x2 is sitting at 80 degrees, and between 65-80% hudmity normally.

:cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Plowmandust77:

Won't you take a moment to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Personally, I would never put them together. I don't believe in mixing species, even if they do come from the same continent. But that's just me. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who keep RF and YF together.

Rather than the feeding issue, I would be concerned with the size issue. A larger tortoise could injure a very young tortoise...not necessarily on purpose, but just because they're so much bigger and are not careful of babies.

I'd love to see pictures of your tortoises. We don't have too many YF keepers here on the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen pictures of some VERY LARGE YF tortoises, however, mine have been the same size for several years and I'm sure they're not going to get any bigger. The female is about 16" SCL and the male is a bit smaller.

(I just realized you added "inside" to your sentence. Inside or outside doesn't make any difference. They'll grow as big as they are predetermined to grow inside or outside.)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You should also know that while some Red-foots are found in the same places as the rain forest-loving Yellow-foot, MOST Red-foots are a grassland species. This has subtle influences on the cares and diet. Yellow-foots are also generally considered to be more reclusive most of the time, but are also known to be rather aggressive at times.

Lots of keepers keep these species together- some have had problems, some have not. I personally would not subject smaller Reds to a larger Yellow.

I don't specialize in Yellows, so one of the more experienced folk will hopefully chime in, but the 6x2 sounds a bit cool and dry to me. (I also suspect it may become rather small for three torts that can all easily hit a foot long.)

Plowmandust77

10 Year Member!
Griffith Indiana
This 6x2 enclosure obviously isnt the long term permanent home, but right now its huge for the yellow. I couldn't seem to think the yellow would be very aggressive

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I've kept both species together and never had any issues, especially as hatchlings........Care and diet is the same, matter of fact, all my Tortoises are kept the same........Hot and humid, whether inside or out, Hatchlings or Adults.......I've only ever had one aggressive Yellowfoot.......It was a 12" CBB animal that was raised by itself, with no socialization with other Tortoises.......Something I firmly beleive in, and that is socialization.......It took her 6 months to finally stop flipping the Male I had in with her.......Pretentious Tortoise she was......

Another FYI - The Red and Yellowfoots I used to get from Guyana were all collected using the same method, in the same areas........I'm sure Surinam is no different, except they are bought at the Markets, then Exported.......

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I don't personally mix species myself either, not even my africans (Sulcatas and Leopards) even though they are both from Africa. Maybe something will happen, maybe not, but why risk it in my opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Come to find out, Nate's tortoise (Plowmandust77) is a redfoot with a lot of yellow on its head and legs. So the mixing species issue is now a non-issue.

Nate:

Your redfoot is a medium-sized tortoise and probably won't get much bigger than 10 to 15 inches in length (in a straight line).

If you'll post a picture of the tortoise's underside including the tail area, we'll take a shot at guessing its sex for you.

Plowmandust77

10 Year Member!
Griffith Indiana
I will get a picture of the underside. What is the best way to post pictures on here? Do I have to get photobucket?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite a few members here use tinypic.com. You don't have to open an account there. I use photobucket and am totally happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.