When is it too cold to put my sulcata outside?

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Lately here in florida it has been getting a little "cold". Right now it is 3:40pm and 56 outside. But my phone says that the "real feel" is 72. If I were to go outside right now I wouldn't bother putting a jacket on. But if I sat in the straight shade I would be chilly. I know that I would never think about putting him outside in 56 degree weather, but really with the sun beaming down on us it feels 72 and amazing. Would it be okay to put him outside like this? I just feel bad because all he does inside is either pace or stuff himself in a corner. I don't even like going in my room when he's inside because looking at me makes me upset.

Also my other question; I leave for school at 730 on Mondays and Tuesdays and leave for the hospital at 530 on thursdays and fridays. Sometimes when I leave in the morning it is about 60 degrees even though it may get to 75 or 80 or higher later on when the sun comes up. On Mondays and Tuesdays I get lunch at 12 and can run home to put him out then. But on Thursdays and Fridays I don't get home till around 4. I know that 60 is colder than what he may prefer, but I also know that they can survive in colder. Of course I'd never want him to get sick or be miserable in the cold, but I also know he's miserable inside and he paces his tank and I'm still worried he might flip over. Idk if he'd rather be cold for 2 tops hours and then enjoy the rest of the day in the sun. Or if he'd rather stay inside. I can't ask him which he would prefer, so I thought I'd ask you guys :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-26-15-33-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-26-15-33-38.png
    774 KB · Views: 56

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Get a laser temp gun and measure the surface temps where you would have him. That will tell you the the temp on the tortoise. Ambient temps are not always what you should look for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Remind us how big Turbo is too please.

I put my little ones out when its 60 and sunny, but I do it in big black tubs that get nice and warm in the sun and I watch them like a hawk. I check surface and carapace temps every few minutes with a temp gun.

I would not want to put a little one out at 60 on the ground and then be gone for hours. I take more chances with bigger older ones, but with the humidity in your area, it might be more of a concern. 60 and dry where I am is different than 60 and humid where you are.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Saleama said:
Get a laser temp gun and measure the surface temps where you would have him. That will tell you the the temp on the tortoise. Ambient temps are not always what you should look for.

Sorry I just saw yours (don't know how I missed it).
Do you think that one on the cheaper side like this would be okay? I wish I could buy a more expensive one but I couldn't until I graduate and get a job which wouldn't be until 3 months at the soonest. Do you think I should get this cheaper one now or should I wait until I can get a better one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The one I use is about $35 on amazon. It is locked up right now in an office I have no access to (I'm at work, lol) so I am not sure of the brand. Most of them are pretty cheap and work quite well.