When should I give my tortoise calcium!!!

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I got calcium with d3 and one without but I don’t know when to give it to him. Like how many times a week would I give it to him and when should I give the calcium with and without d3? Help, thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would refrain from calcium powder and focus more on calcium through the diet. Is there a specific reason you desire to include
Supplement instead of diet and natural sun exposure time?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I got calcium with d3 and one without but I don’t know when to give it to him. Like how many times a week would I give it to him and when should I give the calcium with and without d3? Help, thanks.
What size is your Russian tortoise and do you know the sex? What do you feed it?

lynnefay

OREGON
i live in the very cloudy PNW, so i bought calcium with the d3. i use it a couple of times a week sprinkled on their food in the months they are indoors, which is about 9 months a year. sometimes they won't eat the pieces that it is sprinkled on and i figure that is their way of self regulating.

Florida
I would refrain from calcium powder and focus more on calcium through the diet. Is there a specific reason you desire to include
Supplement instead of diet and natural sun exposure time?
So for the sun I take him on walks everyday for 30 minutes to an hour but he does not live outside so I got with d3 to put on a little bit just in case and for winter months.

Florida
What size is your Russian tortoise and do you know the sex? What do you feed it?
He’s a boy and is a little bigger than my fist. He eats romance lettuce mustard greens food pellets and some days kale and I give him cantaloupe some times.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s a boy and is a little bigger than my fist. He eats romance lettuce mustard greens food pellets and some days kale and I give him cantaloupe some times.
An adult male needs very little calcium supplementation. A small pinch once or twice a week mixed in with the grocery store greens is plenty.

He should never be eating fruit, and the grocery store greens should be a last resort if you can't find or grow anything else. He needs to be eating weeds and leaves, and in your climate he should live outdoors in a large secure enclosure year round.

Please read the diet section here and make some changes for the health of your tortoise:

Florida
An adult male needs very little calcium supplementation. A small pinch once or twice a week mixed in with the grocery store greens is plenty.

He should never be eating fruit, and the grocery store greens should be a last resort if you can't find or grow anything else. He needs to be eating weeds and leaves, and in your climate he should live outdoors in a large secure enclosure year round.

Please read the diet section here and make some changes for the health of your tortoise:
Ok thanks

Florida

I do live in Florida so they put pesticides on the grasses and I don’t want him to eat them. Is there any really easy plants I can grow to give him. Also what’s like the best/ healthiest plant i can get him from the grocery store?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do live in Florida so they put pesticides on the grasses and I don’t want him to eat them. Is there any really easy plants I can grow to give him. Also what’s like the best/ healthiest plant i can get him from the grocery store?
Russian are not grass eaters, so that isn't a concern.

From the store: endive, escarole, arugula.

Skip the text and just scroll down to the lists:

Florida
Russian are not grass eaters, so that isn't a concern.

From the store: endive, escarole, arugula.

Skip the text and just scroll down to the lists:
Ok thanks 😊