When to force feed/stomach tube?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi Benjamin
Are you sure of dosage? I have been medicating my pancake baby (25g) with single dose of 260mg/kg with another dose 2 weeks later as suggested in my book (Encycopedia -by Andy Highfield)
Could you be meaning 50ml/kg?
My pancake is doing much better following this.(so far)

I had never heard Kinixys were especially sensitive to this drug-so thanks for that!
I won't be treating anyways as it seems more risky to do so.

Just got to get him eating somehow.
Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
HE ate????!!!!!! Did I read that right, he finally ate? Party time and here you hardly mentioned it. What a relief.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Tortoise said:
Hi Benjamin
Are you sure of dosage? I have been medicating my pancake baby (25g) with single dose of 260mg/kg with another dose 2 weeks later as suggested in my book (Encycopedia -by Andy Highfield)
Could you be meaning 50ml/kg?
My pancake is doing much better following this.(so far)

I had never heard Kinixys were especially sensitive to this drug-so thanks for that!
I won't be treating anyways as it seems more risky to do so.

Just got to get him eating somehow.
Thanks
I am certain of the doseage, I have it written down.

Regarding Kinixys sensitivity to the drug, this was personal communication with Dr.Tabaka(www.chelonia.org). If I recall correctly it had to do with the blood brain barrier. Several K.homeana that I treated at 50mg/kg died awhile after treatment. One by one they showed signs of paralysis and died within a few days.

Have you tried live foods? If not do so. Steamed sweet potato and carrot served warm are very tempting foods. Grapes,papaya,mango and melon are good fruits to try. Offer food at dusk. And what is ambient room temp? I missed it if you have it posted somewhere. Kinixys are one of the most antisocial tortoises I have met. Keeping them by themselves is a good idea.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Get a large vivarium or aquarium?
Make a little hospital enclosure, provide a steady heat 82F for 2 days then keep it at 80F, cover the top if aquarium, like 95% leave a little gap on both sides.
Hinged tortoises are most common and found in DC Congo Africa, very hot and sometimes very humid air, tortoise live on the ground, where it is damp, but hot.
I hope they get better soon.

* Congo Africa pics below.

View attachment 35049
View attachment 35050
View attachment 35051
View attachment 35052

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Jacqui said:
HE ate????!!!!!! Did I read that right, he finally ate? Party time and here you hardly mentioned it. What a relief.

He has not eaten-I said I have got to get him eating -sorry!!

OK
I have got various aquariums I could use temporarily.I don't normally use them for tortoises but to keep a constant temp and humidity it may be good to do for now
I just went out and got a vicks warm air vaporizer but we worry its like boiling a kettle all day for electric costs??
We may change it for a cool air-not sure??

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tortoise said:
Jacqui said:

He has not eaten-I said I have got to get him eating -sorry!!

Dang, I was so excited, but I did misread what you wrote. :( :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
papayapa said:
Get a large vivarium or aquarium?
Make a little hospital enclosure, provide a steady heat 82F for 2 days then keep it at 80F, cover the top if aquarium, like 95% leave a little gap on both sides.
Hinged tortoises are most common and found in DC Congo Africa, very hot and sometimes very humid air, tortoise live on the ground, where it is damp, but hot.
I hope they get better soon.

* Congo Africa pics below.

This region pertains to erosa/homeana. The OP species resides in eastern and south eastern africa. This species is a grassland/semi marsh sub tropical species. Quote different landscape and husbamdry methods for belliana, spekki, natalensis, zombemsis, and lobatsiana which inhabit eastern and south africa.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
My research was for a hinged tortoise in general, south Africa too of course.
Tortoises are temperature dependent, they will not eat until they are warm enough and the days lengthen. If at any time during winter you think your tortoise may be in trouble, warm him up under a lamp or heater (temperature 25-30 degrees C or 80-90 degrees F), soak him for half an hour in tepid water with electrolytes added and observe if he drinks. Weigh him before soaking and afterwards.
I read that on this nice hinged tortoise website http://www.carecentre.org.za/hingedback2.html

We know your tortoise is not eating or moving and his life is at risk now.
That's why I suggested to temporarily change his environment. Coincidentally I have the flu and cold now. Yesterday I was having body aches, and next to my chair I had a oil radiator that I had on and it felt like the heat went down to my bones. I feeling better today. Also I turned on a humidifyer and I felt even better. My previous post was just an idea for you to consider because time is running out. If he is not even moving or eating tells me that it's not from the lack of food. First get him awake moving and hydrated. Mix some ground mazuri and water and with a tiny spoon wet his beak, if it mixes with his saliva it might help too.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I just set up a tank for the male-I had a good look at him, his right eye won't open and his skin is very tough and leathery and well creased-is this severe dehydration.I can easily hold his head out of shell without much resistance from him-I don't think it would be hard to open his mouth if need be.
He dripped some urine onto me-smells very fishy-is this ok? (like out of tuna can)

The female skin is similar and her right eye is shut too.She will retreat much more easily.

I am soaking him again as I think he may be dehydrated-any thoughts?
I took photos of them again and their skin so I'll work on getting those on here now as it may give better idea-they really don't look good to me-I am so sad, I will do anything to get them through this if possible.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Go to the forum and go in the health section. Madkins007(mark) has a thread up top that is stickied called "soaking tortoises" there is a great electolyte recipe. Follow those instructions should help some. Seems very dry by your description. Hope they pull through. Hydration at thia point is key. you would be surprised at how a tort can bounce back being hydrated. Might want to put some salt in the humifier as well to help mineral absortion in the air quality as well to increase humidity.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Ok I'll take a look.
The eye a bit sunken looks worse than females eye for sure-pics are just loading to photo bucket-my computer is so slow. He just looks far from alert.The closed eye had a couple of beeads of moisture form whilst i was holding him-tiny tiny bubbles.

Should the urine smell fishy?

http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/chelonia3/media/P1050075_zpsd34d0802.jpg.html
http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/chelonia3/media/P1050074_zpse769c1e4.jpg.html
http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/chelonia3/media/P1050076_zpse37c1f30.jpg.html
http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/chelonia3/media/P1050081_zps37096750.jpg.html
http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/chelonia3/media/P1050085_zps7417d430.jpg.html
http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/chelonia3/media/P1050077_zps83fb9042.jpg.html
http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/chelonia3/media/P1050082_zps9b223eb0.jpg.html
http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/chelonia3/media/P1050084_zpsd9105171.jpg.html

whoops-I''ll do that again

P1050085_zps7417d430.jpg

P1050084_zpsd9105171.jpg

P1050082_zps9b223eb0.jpg

P1050081_zps37096750.jpg

P1050076_zpse37c1f30.jpg

P1050077_zps83fb9042.jpg

P1050078_zpscc759203.jpg

P1050074_zpse769c1e4.jpg

P1050075_zpsd34d0802.jpg

not sure if this is relevant but when male eyes are closed the eye lids look sunken more so when closed.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When soaking are you keeping a lid on the soaking box? That way you have the warm humid air too. I would just keep soaking and soaking. I had forgotten Mark's recipe, but yes use it or until you can do the babyfood soaks. Keep that water warm.
I really can't answer you on the urine. I don't recall mine urinating on me, so I have never smelled it.

Of the two tortoises together, which one is the right side as you look at the picture?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have never soaks one for that long, BUT if you can keep the water warm or changing it out for that long go for it. The way the eye in the 3rd (?) picture looks, it worries me a bit. It seems more sunken then it should be. Soaking for that long will do no harm, as long as the water is warm.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I can keep it warm whilst we are awake as I have them both now in their own containers of that electrolyte solution(the recipe from the hydration website-thanks) with lids loosely over tops and their containers are in a sink of hotter water to help keep their soak water warm.

Strange how both of them have an eye that won't open easily.You can see the females left eye it looks good but other side closed.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Except her open eye looks good and the closed one just looks closed, not starting to sink in. Did she eat again today for you?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Not sure really-I tip toe around and if she is sat by food dish, I try to leave her alone as she will stop doing anything if I watch. I suspect she may have some but food but dish looks untouched(nothing noticeable disappearing in full) so only a nibble here and there if anything.
She has been coming out at night most days having spent all day in hide.So not up much but starting to see a pattern.
I'll give her same soaking treatment though as it can't hurt and her skin is leathery too-none of my other tortoises are so leathery and dry like that.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
One of my home's hingebacks came to me acting much the way yours is, only yours is more active. My tortoise either did not move or managed to move without making footprints and he made it back to the same spot every time (I smoothed his soil so I could track him). It took him 4 months before he ate anything for me even though I offered him all of my other home's favorite foods. I gave him bird-vitamin soaks every day (this was pre-TFO for me, didn't know about babyfood soaks then) to get him through. That tortoise is still alive and well just about 10 years later. I want to say it was zucchini that got him eating.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Thanks Chairman for the encouraging message. What is baby food soaks?
Is that bathing a non eating tortoise in warm baby food so that it can absorb nutrients in it's skin?

Besides being ill, your tortoises look nice, I really hope they do better. Thanks for your story and pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.