When to force feed/stomach tube?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Yes a babyfood soak is when you add the babyfood to the soaking water. Usually you use the bright orange ones or a fruit one for hingebacks.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
chairman said:
One of my home's hingebacks came to me acting much the way yours is, only yours is more active. My tortoise either did not move or managed to move without making footprints and he made it back to the same spot every time (I smoothed his soil so I could track him). It took him 4 months before he ate anything for me even though I offered him all of my other home's favorite foods. I gave him bird-vitamin soaks every day (this was pre-TFO for me, didn't know about babyfood soaks then) to get him through. That tortoise is still alive and well just about 10 years later. I want to say it was zucchini that got him eating.

Thanks this does give me some hope.
I will try the baby food in water today.They soaked in rehydration liquids yesterday for several hours-they certainly looked more alert after that.
The female had a funny episode though-I think she maybe took water into lungs as I saw her gasping.I took he out of soak and held her she had her neck fully out and left mouth wide open for long periods-(she has a healthy pink mouth) I tipped her up etc as she seemed to be gasping for air.She eventually stopped and went back to hiding in shell, that is when I knew she was feeling herself again.
It was scary and I'm glad I was there to see this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you think a tortoise may have water in their lungs, you can place them on an incline with their head down. You can also (and this sounds rough, but it works) swing them. You support the head and neck, and holding the tortoise so the head will be down, raise it arm length straight out from your body and swing him down towards the floor. The centrifical force causes the water to go out.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks Yvonne
I did tip he head down but nothing really came out-she had a bubble from her mouth.I guess she must have sorted herself out but good to know about swinging them to help move water out.

She ate this morning again so she must be feeling ok now. She had a few bites of romaine lettuce and ignored the shrimp I left for her!!!

Still watching male for signs of eating-he sat looking at food for a while, smacked his lips, warmed up and went back to bed-at least he is up and about a bit sometimes.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
"he sat looking at food for a while, smacked his lips, warmed up and went back to bed-at least he is up and about a bit sometimes"

Wow, that's a big improvement, keep up the good work.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Well a couple of worrying days and today a glimpse of hope maybe...
The last couple of days the male has looked worse-even as far as not holding head up in warm soak-I thought for a second or two he may have drowned but he was ok-asleep under the water.
Both tortoises have lost significant weight- the male from 572g down to 511g and the female from 411g to 352g.
I booked a vet appt for today so may see if they can do some blood work and maybe help me give fluids somehow.

The hopeful part though is early this morning one of my daughters glanced into the tort room from our spy hole-unfinished drywall patch, and he was sat on food dish looking awake.
By the time I rushed to basement he was back in hide as if he had never moved. I think he may have had some food-its hard to tell as the heat dries it up over night so much but i think there may be some small lumps of cooked pumpkin gone and possibly tomato.

Still going to vets soon

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Sad News:(:(:(
My male passed today.

We had started to give small amounts of fluids from the vet but it was too late-his eyes only ever looked sunken in so I can assume the main problem was likely severe dehydration.

Poor guy.Glad I didn't bombard him with drugs too he was too weak to cope.
So sad -wish they were still roaming in their home lands.

These guys likely were smuggled in from the US and i found lots of concerning info out about seller after the fact.

Not much chance I will see this species here again, I had such big hopes for them especially being a pair.

Well I'll keep fighting hard for my female-she too lost a lot of weight but is eating occasionally so I will remain positive -her eyes have always looked alert too so she wasn't as bad on arrival.

They have spurred us on with the hurried start of a tortoise room which now has a humidifier and a lovely warmth so at least we have that underway they were the first of my tortoises to benefit.
We did all we could think of to make they feel comfortable.

Thanks to all of you who messaged me and posted on this thread and helped out-I truly appreciate the support and encouragement.
It really means a lot-thank you.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks Kelly , thanks for all the supportive messages.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Louise,

How is the female doing? Have you decided to do another injection since the second set?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi
I just weighed her-she is 367g today so she has put on about 15g in a few days so a good sign.She was at 411 and dropped to 352 quite rapidly.
She didn't seem to eat yesterday but I have seen her eat several times.She will eat quite a variety of foods too compared to my bells boys.(she loves romaine funnily enough)

Regarding fluids I kind of got scared to do it because the morning of the day the male died the fluid started leaking from the night before holes-does that make sense?? His skin wasn't healing and I have no idea if that is normal or because he was so sick and near death etc.

Do you think she should still get SQ fluids-I have lots on hand here and she isn't too difficult to inject.

Thanks

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I am sorry Louise your beautiful Spekes Hinged male died. You did your best to save him.
It is very sad you know, such an amazing animal that God created that has been thriving on the Earth for maybe 200 million years. Tortoises are maybe the oldest animals among all the other animals. The tortoise is also so vulnerable and in captivity so very dependent on human for it's care. I really love my cat, she is beautiful and I have had her for 5 years, I also love all the animals of the world, even the oceans, forests, mountains etc., but there is something special I love about the Tortoise. They are peaceful, majestic and just want to be safe and left alone. We as people are not perfect, but we mostly have good intentions, sometimes we buy pets on an impulse with out thinking it all through first. That's why pet shops are still in business. I think education and awareness is the key to preventing animal abuse. If we take on a new pet then we need to be responsible and do everything to give it the best care, otherwise we shouldn't take on that responsibility. If we can't afford the costs or the time for cleaning etc. then we should not adopt a new pet. This is common among people like us who love animals.

What angers me the most is those who deliberately harm animals to make a profit. Those who import or export animals without really caring about them. Overseas it's unbelievable how people disregard animals. A chicken, pig, cow, fish, are slaughtered for our food that's fine as long as they are treated humanly and slaughtered in a humane way, but exotic animals like African Grey parrots still caught as babies and put into small crates by the dozens or wild tortoises the same, or many other exotic animals that are endangered and treated so harshly is really a crime against our earth. I don't think God is very pleased when innocent people and children and innocent animals are treated unfairly and harmed. This is our earth, there is no place like it, even Nasa scientists agree how very unique our planet is among anything else out in space. What are we doing to help educated others? If we take a stand for the vulnerable tortoise I believe it will bring awareness to all endangered animals. The indigenous will learn that we love and respect the tortoises. That the tortoises of the world are very important to us and should be left alone. If they get it then that same thinking will apply to all the other endangered animals too. Poachers hunt endangered animals to make a quick profit to feed their families. Even though it's good to have laws to stop poaching, it's not working, endangered animal poaching is still a big problem. So whats the solution to really stop it? It's to bring awareness to those peoples in countries that are buying them, and to support Eco tourism, here is a really cool website, lets learn what we can do to make a difference.
http://www.ecotourism.org/

View attachment 35595

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You know my overall belief is to be as hands off as possible. She is gaining weight, she is eating, and you are soaking, she is loking okay and active, correct? I would hold off and just monitor her and see how she does. If YOU feel, be it a gut feeling or a logical one, that she is starting to slide back or needs the fluids then do it. Trust yourself. Yes, you lost the male, but that was not for lack on your part of trying. You work hard to find answers and try new things. Your a great keeper. Believe in yourself and your abilities. Do what "feels" right to you.

Oh and by the way, I am not one bit surprised she likes romaine lettuce. I have found it to be well liked by most turtles and tortoises. One reason I feed it often. It may not have high food value, but they like it and if only for that reason it has good value. It helps gets them eating, esepcially eating greens. Has a nice water value which also is a helpful thing.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks Jacqui
for your continuing support, it really knocks your confidence when you lose one and you find yourself second guessing a lot.
I do feel she has been the better of the two right from the start and she moves around her enclosure fairly frequently-There is a small patch of drywall not finished and I have to peek through there to observe her.
I have lost sleep over these tortoises and never stopped thinking about them, I will continue on and hope this female is going to continue to gain weight and eat. It would be very difficult to treat her for anything as she is so shy.

I still wonder if she has parasites but I guess a weight gain is positive as is her eating.

Thanks again-you are so helpful!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tortoise said:
I have lost sleep over these tortoises and never stopped thinking about them,

See now that is a sign of a great tortoise caretaker in my opinion. Add to it the hours you spend researching, the actual time spent observing and working with the animals or on their living arrangements. You are willing to try every and anything. You impress me. Sad as it is, I think loosing tortoises makes us better caretakers, too.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks Jacqui you are pretty impressive your self!!
Its like an obsession really.
My human family has been neglected whenever we have a sick tortoise in the family. pancake babe still needing lots of tlc too-odd stomach tube and daily soaks etc-still looks like a few weeks old at 8-9mths old!

It takes up lots of time to observe(waiting for them to slowly make their decisions and I dare not breath etc as not to disturb any eating etc) and tweak things here and there-soaking etc,feel like a nurse!
I just realised my new one week old humidifier has quit and my husband has it all in pieces-may just take it back and try again, this is the 3rd attempt at getting a decent humidifier.

In meantime I just wet a whole pile of peat moss to put under the bark she had and now hope at least under foot it will keep up humidity for now as will two large pans water that she has.
Its all in place now so I had better take her from soak tub back home again to settle down and hopefully eat her food waiting for her.

Then I better make my human clan some decent food-haha!!helps to have supportive family as i often hear "Mom can we eat this or is it for tortoises?"-yikes!! :):)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tortoise said:
Then I better make my human clan some decent food-haha!!helps to have supportive family as i often hear "Mom can we eat this or is it for tortoises?"-yikes!! :):)

Yes it certainly helps having a supportive family, especially husband (or wife). I had one of those unsupportive husbands once and it is my biggest regret because he made me give up my large groups of Bells (about 20). :( My children have been known to ask if food is for them or the tortoises. They also have learned to share with the tortoises. :D

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Tortoise said:
Thanks Jacqui
for your continuing support, it really knocks your confidence when you lose one and you find yourself second guessing a lot.
I do feel she has been the better of the two right from the start and she moves around her enclosure fairly frequently-There is a small patch of drywall not finished and I have to peek through there to observe her.
I have lost sleep over these tortoises and never stopped thinking about them, I will continue on and hope this female is going to continue to gain weight and eat. It would be very difficult to treat her for anything as she is so shy.

I still wonder if she has parasites but I guess a weight gain is positive as is her eating.

Thanks again-you are so helpful!!
Sorry about that male. I was pretty certain he wouldn't survive after you posted those pics of him.
Here are my thoughts on the female. She certainly is carrying a parasite load, though treating her for that should be done at a later date. In regards to weight gain.. I have had several kinixys gain weight only to die shortly. The weight gain was due the the liver growing while fighting off massive infection. All kinixys my vet and I opened post mortem(20+) had huge necrotic livers. Have you had bloodwork done?
Best of luck with her I hope for the best.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
When i took them to the vets on Weds my vet said she really didn't know how to take blood from a reptile so we just worked on her showing me SQ fluids after I gave her an article on rehydrating reptiles.We thought it was a safe start for them and would see how it went. Never would have guessed the following day my male would die though.

I still have male-not sure what to do with him-he is frozen outdoors.
Ground too frozen to bury him. Wondered if vet wanted him to look at but can't seem to make the call-have not told her he died yet. can't afford autopsy if its a big fee either-just wondered if they wanted to look inside him for their own interest as they would have never seen the internal parts of tortoise before.

How long would you leave it for parasite treatments?
It seems such a catch 22 situation-they are struggling with so much yet the drugs easily overwhelm them-so tough to know what to do if anything and when.

Good to know of someone else's experiences though thanks Benjamin-I am all ears for any advice, ideas, comments .......

Status
Not open for further replies.