When to lower temps

Jenblalock003

So might be a dumb question but I want to make sure bc I love my babies

So my kids are 6 mth now and I want to know as they get older when is it appropriate to lower the temps. Currently their basking is 100-102, and the other temps are 85 and 90.

At what age/size should it be a little cooler? Lately I've noticed they hang out in the hide a lot and when Baby isn't in the hide he digs in one of the corners.

Just curious!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You can let night temps drop to 75-80 anytime. I usually set my baby enclosure ambient temps at no lower than 78-80 from the start. I never lower it. They just eventually move outside where I set the temp in the night box.

Jenblalock003

You can let night temps drop to 75-80 anytime. I usually set my baby enclosure ambient temps at no lower than 78-80 from the start. I never lower it. They just eventually move outside where I set the temp in the night box.

Thanks Tom. And I can lower for the day? Maybe basking 96? The ambient 85-90?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Overall ambient can be as low as 78-80 day or night and as high as mid 90's with no problems.

Try 96 for a basking temp, but watch the behavior. If they park under it for most of the day, it is too cool. If they avoid it all day, it might be too warm. If they use it intermittently throughout the day, you probably have it just right. This behavior will relate to the ambient too. I would expect more basking on a 78 degree day and less, or none, on a 95 degree day.

Jenblalock003

Overall ambient can be as low as 78-80 day or night and as high as mid 90's with no problems.

Try 96 for a basking temp, but watch the behavior. If they park under it for most of the day, it is too cool. If they avoid it all day, it might be too warm. If they use it intermittently throughout the day, you probably have it just right. This behavior will relate to the ambient too. I would expect more basking on a 78 degree day and less, or none, on a 95 degree day.

Makes perfect sense!