When to trust a vet's judgment? Dying tortoise :(

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MN
I did get a hold of the lady we adopted Munchy from and sent her the link to this thread. She raised questions about the care Munchy received as well and stated she was glad I switched vets. The difficulty is, since both vets I visited affirmed the care given, I am thinking I am out of luck for finding a decent tort-knowledgable vet in MN. I looked all over online and the ones that I had seen suggested on herp websites and such were outdated and some of them had retired. Per her recommendations and those on this site, I have stopped bandaging Munchy and this seems to work better for him. There was occasionally a slight odor when I changed his bandage, but now there is no odor. I am still soaking him every other day, 10 min. in plain water, 10 min in the chlorahexadine scrub, rinsing him then applying silver sulfa. cream. I am not taking action (other than what I described) to treat the area on the upper part of his shell that seems unhealthy at this time. I feel he needs time to heal and regrow his plastron, and I am not willing to risk putting him on different, stronger meds unless I either see a marked decline in his health or have the advice of a tort-experienced vet. I am thinking if we have increased health concerns I may try contacting the University of MN and see if they have any resources, or perhaps contact a zoo which houses torts. For now, he's eating well, moving around, digesting his food, regrowing his plastron, and the concerning area on the upper portion of his shell doesn't seem to be changing. We now have weeds in full growth in MN again so Munchy was thrilled to be fed some dandelions by my sons. They are thrilled he's made it to see another summer!

Attachments

• IMG_5154.JPG
    IMG_5154.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 42

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As i said previously, all good news and thanks for keeping up with the updates.
So glad the little fellows happy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I did get a hold of the lady we adopted Munchy from and sent her the link to this thread. She raised questions about the care Munchy received as well and stated she was glad I switched vets. The difficulty is, since both vets I visited affirmed the care given, I am thinking I am out of luck for finding a decent tort-knowledgable vet in MN. I looked all over online and the ones that I had seen suggested on herp websites and such were outdated and some of them had retired. Per her recommendations and those on this site, I have stopped bandaging Munchy and this seems to work better for him. There was occasionally a slight odor when I changed his bandage, but now there is no odor. I am still soaking him every other day, 10 min. in plain water, 10 min in the chlorahexadine scrub, rinsing him then applying silver sulfa. cream. I am not taking action (other than what I described) to treat the area on the upper part of his shell that seems unhealthy at this time. I feel he needs time to heal and regrow his plastron, and I am not willing to risk putting him on different, stronger meds unless I either see a marked decline in his health or have the advice of a tort-experienced vet. I am thinking if we have increased health concerns I may try contacting the University of MN and see if they have any resources, or perhaps contact a zoo which houses torts. For now, he's eating well, moving around, digesting his food, regrowing his plastron, and the concerning area on the upper portion of his shell doesn't seem to be changing. We now have weeds in full growth in MN again so Munchy was thrilled to be fed some dandelions by my sons. They are thrilled he's made it to see another summer!

Awesome...and that sure is big open mouth on a very handsome tortoise --good stuff...tell your son to keep the dandi's flowing right into that mouth--that is such a wonderful food item and has much to offer...

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
My husband and I are giving serious consideration to investing in a 125 gallon tank to make into a new home for Munchy. It would give him more space than the place he is now and hopefully keep heat and humidity a little better, especially over the winter. For now his temps and humidity are in the good range, but we 'supplement' by having a space heater set to keep the room at 75 degrees to keep the temp from dropping much at night (the red heat emitting bulb we have only raises the temp a couple degrees from the 69 degree room temp), and we have to spray his sphagnum moss bedding twice daily to keep it damp but not wet. I've been reading some of the old threads under housing. Are there any drawbacks to doing an aquarium? So far I am seeing I will need to monitor how much of the lid to cover and how much to have a wire covering over to allow some airflow without losing a majority of the heat.

I notice a lot of people stating that they don't do complete substrate changes very often, but my concern is, if there does end up being some type of bacteria or something in there, won't it run rampant with the heat and humidity? I still have a lot of guilt not knowing why Munchy got an injury or potential shell rot in the first place & I want to have a set up for him that minimizes his risk of shell issues in the future.

Also, on a different note, I am wondering whether or not soaking Munchy every other day for 20 minutes is excessive at this point? I don't mind the work and I don't want to risk dehydration since he doesn't currently have a water bowl in his enclosure (to keep him from soaking in water he defecates in since his plastron is healing), but I don't want to cause him any shell problems from sitting in a soak so often, either. Is there any risk to soaking every other day? I keep the water at about 1" to 1 1/2" deep so it covers his lower portion of his shell and does get his rear scutes as well by default.

Thank you ALL so much for the encouragement, support, and advice you have offered. I understand you don't know me or my tort, you aren't paid to sit here and read all these newby tort ownership issues and share your knowledge with us, and yet you do share a huge wealth of information, which includes giving of your time and energy. I am truly grateful.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
That aquarium you have in mind is going to be very heavy and expensive. The walls may be too high for your comfort in reaching in. From those aspects, you may want to use something else or build it to your own specs.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Have you considered a stock tank? Maybe the plastic ones instead of the silver metal ones? There was also a link on here recently that showed a very nice enclosure made from industrial tubs. I think the website was called go to tubs. Tubs would be much lighter and safer than glass. Just something to think about. Almost anything can work as an enclosure as long as you adjusted to your needs.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
I realize the aquarium will be heavy, that is one setback. We are looking at being able to sell the current cage he's in after getting him into a new one to offset the cost. His current enclosure is an adapted 1/2 of a $200 ferret nation metal cage, so I am confident we could sell it fully assembled again to regain $100. I located a 125 gal aquarium with a blown seal on the bottom which makes it unusable for fish unless it gets repaired, but I think with minimal effort in repairs we could use it for a tort. It's only $200, so $100 cost after selling our current set up. Tubs/totes cannot work for our family since we have 2 cats, a dog, and 8, 5, and 2 year old boys. We need a very secure enclosure for our tort's safety. Our kids/pets aren't aggressive in any way toward the tort but legos have landed in his enclosure already and I read enough horror stories about pet's intermingling that we are never going to go that route. I want an enclosure safe enough that IF our 13 lb cat decided he was interested in the tort, he still couldn't access him. That was what had appealed to us about converting the ferret cage. However, like I stated before, we're needing a space heater in addition to a (24 hour) red heat emitting bulb and (12 hour) 100w Powersun UV to keep his temps ideal. He has very little walking/exercise room as it is now and we'd love to be able to incorporate live plants without taking away his room to move around. Should I move this info over to a new thread in the housing section?

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Just read through this whole thread. So glad to see him doing well after all you've been through. Best wishes