When to turn on heat lamp

Anayiskaz

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have recently adopted a 6 year old horse field tortoise in the Uk which lives outside. The sellers said that I don’t need a heat lamp but can use if I want to which seems a bit confusing. I bought an 80w powersub bulb... can anyone advise when this should be turned on as in what temperatures in day or night.

Anayiskaz

London
what are the temperatures in the uk? heat lamps should be on during the day and off during the night, is common sense.
At the moment it’s been 35 degrees here which seems ridiculous to have a heat lamp on but then today it’s been hot and rainy. What temperature would be recommended for it to be turned on as it’s too hot at the moment.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
At the moment it’s been 35 degrees here which seems ridiculous to have a heat lamp on but then today it’s been hot and rainy. What temperature would be recommended for it to be turned on as it’s too hot at the moment.
35 Celsius or degrees? if its 35 Celsius you dont need a heat lamp. you should provide it with a hide to get away from the sun.

Anayiskaz

London
35 Celsius or degrees? if its 35 Celsius you dont need a heat lamp. you should provide it with a hide to get away from the sun.
Degrees. I’m wondering because next week it’s going to fluctuate around 24-20 and I’m not sure when would be necessary for it.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
what are the temperatures in the uk? heat lamps should be on during the day and off during the night, is common sense.

Apparently not common sense enough for that particular seller. ;)

@Anayiskaz Hope this helps.
Russian/Horsefield guide with indoor and outdoor guidelines:

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
35C or 95F is tolerable for an horsefield provided that you ample shading space for the tortoise to go to when they're tired of all that heat. Have water in a shallow dish the tortoise can go in and out of on it's own at all times and maybe make sure the weather isn't too dry and it should be fine.

How low does the night time temperature get? You might need a night time heating source/hutch if it reaches too low and too humid/wet.

Anayiskaz

London
35C or 95F is tolerable for an horsefield provided that you ample shading space for the tortoise to go to when they're tired of all that heat. Have water in a shallow dish the tortoise can go in and out of on it's own at all times and maybe make sure the weather isn't too dry and it should be fine.

How low does the night time temperature get? You might need a night time heating source/hutch if it reaches too low and too humid/wet.
Ah okay and yes we have been providing hides and water. It is really random at the moment but it’s been around 20 degrees at night and we have a hutch filled with readigrass.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Ah okay and yes we have been providing hides and water. It is really random at the moment but it’s been around 20 degrees at night and we have a hutch filled with readigrass.

If night time temperatures stay above 16-17C there should no worries provided that you're continually getting 30C or higher temperatures during the day. Russians/horsefields are generally pretty hardy against short cold spurts if it's able to fully warm back up during the day.

Anayiskaz

London
If night time temperatures stay above 16-17C there should no worries provided that you're continually getting 30C or higher temperatures during the day. Russians/horsefields are generally pretty hardy against short cold spurts if it's able to fully warm back up during the day.
Thank you so much ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s summer , why would someone think it’s 35F in UK o_O

Ok. I wondered that as well. ? In fact parts of the UK have recently experienced really high temps, yes, into the high 90s& 100 F range....

Last Friday, the UK experienced its hottest day in August for 17 years as temperatures hit an unbearable high of 36.4 Celsius in the south east of England. That came just two weeks after the Met Office logged the UK’s third hottest day on record, when temperatures soared to 37.8C.”

➡️➡️ https://www.wired.co.uk/article/when-will-the-heatwave-end

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
I have recently adopted a 6 year old horse field tortoise in the Uk which lives outside. The sellers said that I don’t need a heat lamp but can use if I want to which seems a bit confusing. I bought an 80w powersub bulb... can anyone advise when this should be turned on as in what temperatures in day or night.
I would recommend having the heat lamp on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

I am in the UK too.

Tortoises are cold blooded and cannot generate their own body heat to give them the energy to eat, be active and digest food. To raise their body temperature they must be able to bask in direct sun or, if kept indoors, undr a basking lamp.

They also need UVB light which helps them make vitamin D which in turn helps them process dietary calcium and have a strong shell and bones. This can also come from basking in the sun, or it requires a special reptile lamp for those kept indoors.

You definitely need a basking lamp if your tortoise is kept indoors. The temperature directly under it must be 35-37C at tortoise level. It, and the UVB lamp, must be on for 12-14 hours a day every day. Use a timer as it makes life much easier.

If your tortoise lives outdoors, it will be absolutely fine this summer. The weather is perfect. A

You should read the thread I created about keeping a tortoise outdoors in the UK climate

I am happy to answer questions... we have had a tortoise for 47 years!

Anayiskaz

London
Hello and welcome

I am in the UK too.

Tortoises are cold blooded and cannot generate their own body heat to give them the energy to eat, be active and digest food. To raise their body temperature they must be able to bask in direct sun or, if kept indoors, undr a basking lamp.

They also need UVB light which helps them make vitamin D which in turn helps them process dietary calcium and have a strong shell and bones. This can also come from basking in the sun, or it requires a special reptile lamp for those kept indoors.

You definitely need a basking lamp if your tortoise is kept indoors. The temperature directly under it must be 35-37C at tortoise level. It, and the UVB lamp, must be on for 12-14 hours a day every day. Use a timer as it makes life much easier.

If your tortoise lives outdoors, it will be absolutely fine this summer. The weather is perfect. A

You should read the thread I created about keeping a tortoise outdoors in the UK climate

I am happy to answer questions... we have had a tortoise for 47 years!
Thank you so much I will have to take you up on that offer as a new tortoise owner and wanting to get everything right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In this care sheet, I explain this all in more depth.

Essentially, if the temp is over 22C and its sunny and dry, then I leave the heat lamp off. Less than that, or overcast, or wet after a rain, and I leave the lamp on for about 12 hours so the tortoise can warm up. Going into hibernation, I reduce the light cycle as time passes and hibernation gets closer. Then after hibernation, I gradually lengthen the light cycle as they wake up and get going again.

Mrs G

Hi there,
I live in the uk too. I have a Hermann. You need a heat lamp during the day and UV. My pen is indoors but you still need to have a heat source for your Tort to bask under