Where can I adopt a pancake tortoise?

Bread101b

Location (City and/or State)
New york
I have been doing a lot of research as to what type of tortoise I'd like to adopt. For the most part, I was interested in adopting a Hermann or a Russian Tortoise, but Pancake tortoises have always been my absolute favorite. I read an article a way back saying it was illegal to own a Pancake tortoise in the USA, but I see that many people own this species so I'm beginning to believe the article I read was wrong..

Now, my question is this: is there a limitation on which states will allow you to adopt a Pancake tortoise? And if I am able to adopt one, where would I do so?

I've never owned a tortoise before, only some African Side Neck turtles (which I sadly had to rehome due to my mental health which interfered with my ability to take care of them )': ). After a few years of intense research and planning, I do hope to adopt a tortoise, but would it be a bad idea for me to adopt a Pancake tortoise over some of the intermediate level tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pancakes are no harder to care for than any other species and I know of no laws from any state saying you can't keep them.

You just have to find the right breeder to buy one from.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You won't be able to "adopt" a pancake tortoise. They never show up at the rescues. But there are places or people you can BUY them from. The article you read might have been the one about African tortoises and the deer tick problem. It's something about African tortoises not being imported anymore due to the deer tick.

But there are pancakes that are already imported, and breeders selling them, and it's quite legal.

Bread101b

New york
You won't be able to "adopt" a pancake tortoise. They never show up at the rescues. But there are places or people you can BUY them from. The article you read might have been the one about African tortoises and the deer tick problem. It's something about African tortoises not being imported anymore due to the deer tick.

But there are pancakes that are already imported, and breeders selling them, and it's quite legal.

I didn't think they'd show in rescues. I just don't like using the term "buying" when it comes to animals. I don't like thinking of them as my property. I think of it more as an animal I just happen to be taking care of.
I'm not even sure where to look for breeders. :(

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I've seen a hand full home Or adoption over the years. One of my buddies adopted a pair they do great down here. They are however harder to find to adopt. Best bet is to find a good breeder that has them.

Kyle