Where can i buy cactus for my russian tortoise...

Donatello

Hello i try to give my russian tortoise a mixture of different greens everyday. So with the greens sometimes i give him 1 baby carrot or one slice of green pepper as a treat i guess. Plus he will NOT chew on his cuttle bone at all. I keep it in the enclosure still but i thot a baby carrot with his greens every couple days would help his beak? Anyway i heard cactus is a great treat for them. I live in Pennsylvania about a hour away from Pittsburgh. Could i buy this anywhere or could i buy seeds to grow it myself? Humans like a nice treat once in a while so i thought my tortoise would to. I also heard fruit is not good at all for them. Oh and i read they love dandelions. So i am gonna grow some of those. Can they eat the entire dandelion or just the yellow part? I would just pick it from yard in the summer but we have lots of stray cats that run around i am afraid to give it to him. :(

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
There a few members selling cactus do you can look in the for sale section. Also Carolina Pet Supply has some for sale.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
If you don't want to order online, large chain-grocery stores usually have it...or ethnic groceries, especially if you have large ethnic and/or foodie populations as we do in metro-Detroit; it shouldn't be too hard to find where you are. I've seen cactus in both Meijer and Kroger, as well as the dragon fruit. Specialty fruit markets/grocers like Whole Foods ought to have it also.
Once you find pads, try rooting it. Even here in Michigan one can find species that will survive the winter and take off in the spring...their thorns are just a lot more wicked! ;)

Donatello

Thank you so much everyone! How often should i give it to him once i get some?

I am going to a reptile show in pittsburgh tomorrow. So they might have some neat stuff their too. Super excited about it :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Mine have gotten into a couple of pots of Optunia cactus and chowed them down, spines and all. However, while they weren't spineless, they had a lot less spines than the wild Optunia.
You can feed part of a whole pad, or cut it into smaller pieces.
If you attach a bag clip to the side of the enclosure, you can clip the pad to it.
Just to be on the safe side, you can take a potato peeler to remove spines, or burn them off with a lighter. Wear gloves even with the 'spineless' pads, they still have little prickers.

Donatello

Thank you i will remember that. I also picked up some dandelion i found at the store. Cant wait to give it to donatello tomorrow. He never had it. When i was at the store i asked if they sold the cactus, the guy said they do but they dont have any right now. They ordered it, but it hasnt been comming in.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
If it can grow where you are, it is super easy to grow. If you take a piece and lay it in a pot it will grow.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Donatello said:
Thank you so much everyone! How often should i give it to him once i get some?

I am going to a reptile show in pittsburgh tomorrow. So they might have some neat stuff their too. Super excited about it :D

You will have to give me the scoop on if there are tortoises and turtles. I have been planning to go months and still have yet to get there. Have fun don't spend to much money :)

redterra

I think in mexican/hispanic grocery stores it is called Nopales. and they seem to have a larger quantity on hand than run-of-the-mill grocery stores.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I bought some today at a local. Hispanic market. A 5 pack of young pieces for $1.50. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393187550.740395.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Donatello

Went to reptile show...

They had hermans, redfoots, and some turtles. The show was awesome. On a another note donatello went crazy for the dandelions. You guys are great and i am so glad i found this forum! Heres some pics of the guys at the show.1393195962263.jpg1393195977811.jpg1393195994460.jpg Couldnt get a picture of the hermans, but they were beautiful!

Ill look around for some of those markets. I live right next to ohio, literally on the boarder. Ohio, i may have better luck for cactus. If not ill order some from you guys on here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I wish I would of went ! Next month and it will be spring time.I can't believe they had a three striped mud turtle on my list . The tortoises too :) thank you for posting the pictures! I was hoping for 3 toed box turtles.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
The market now sells them individually. I bought one today. Grand total of 29 cents with tax.