Where can I find dandelions greens at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Hi, everyone, I can not seem to be able to find fresh dandelion greens anywhere. I don't want to pick some and have it have weed killer or somekind of chemical on it. Would it be best just to grow my own? Is the dried ones just as good as the fresh?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Growing your own is always better. However, try looking at stores like Whole Foods. Also if you have a polish neighborhood, that is where I am able to find mine, the polish produce markets.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I get mine at Whole Foods and/or the local farmer's market. Wish I could grow them but I haven't had luck yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I get mine at my local grocery store. They didn't sell them until I asked the produce manager to order some. Now he stocks them all the time and sometimes other folks buy them before I can get my ration.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much. Ive tried the farmers makert here in roseville mn and nobody had any. :(. I WILL check out wholefoods, and I may try talking to the produce manager at our local cub foods store. If no luck then ill try growing my own. Thank you thank you.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I have found produce managers very accommodating, both at Whole Foods and at my local Ralph's. When I've asked, they've ordered.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Okay ill do that the next time I go to the store. Thank you

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
growing dandelions is easy the more you neglect them the better they grow :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sueb4653 said:
growing dandelions is easy the more you neglect them the better they grow :)

Yeah, and conversely the more you plant and tend to them, the less they want to sprout. :)

Somebody here mentioned that they have a 12 month delay before germination. I don't know if its exactly 12 months, but I do believe they have to overwinter before they will sprout in some cases. Last year I put thousands of seed all over my yard and nothing wold sprout at all. This spring however, I had tons of dandelions popping up everywhere. :D ... and some very happy, well fed tortoises.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Harris Teeter grocery store stocks them most of the year. It's a different variety with a much bigger leaf but the torts still like it.

In the mid-atlantic region, they grow best in the spring and fall. Temperatures above 90 seem to slow them down in my area.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
On Carolina pet supply.com they tell you how to get them to grow . Good luck I can't seam to get them to grow . So I use Yvonne's advice and get them from empty lots in around the hood .
Yeah tortoise keeping is harder than what it looks like outside looking in . I would spend my weekends cleaning snake cages and removing weeds and mowing grass. Now I clean the snake cages I have left after removing some of the bigger ones and trying to grow weeds .
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Im going to give it a try but since we live in a apt I will be trying to grow them inside hopefully I will have some luck. thank you.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Local grocery stores will carry them, also sprouts carries them, but the grocery stores you get more for your money.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
One of the members here sent me some seeds about 6 weeks ago, I sprinkled them across my yard and outdoor tortoise enclosure and within 3 weeks I had them sprouting everywhere. Some are growing decently but not enough to use them to start feeding yet. I think I may be overwatering them but my grass needs the water, and the ones that are growing on a part of my yard that doesn't get watered as much are growing the fastest.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I buy them at Sprouts in the Winter. This time of year, I pick them out of my own yard or look for them in abandoned lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.